Write data to VFS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I've been packaging a few applications for a customer, most of them pretty much straight forward, but now I'm trying to get one to work that there are no recepies for out there and no information. The application is Epicor E10 if it matters.

I can sequence the application just fine and it starts as it should do, but apparently when the user logs in it downloads more files from a local server to the install directory. The problem is that I can't add all these files to the app-v package, there are different files depending on which country you are in, your role in the application and so on. (A total of 50Gb files combined)

Is there a solution to this? For example open up the VFS for editing and then "cleaning it" when the user closes the application?

To make this worse, the applications are run on a Citrix server and then published.

In the crappy picture below, the files should be added to seapp30-808

Andreas Molin | Site: www.guidestomicrosoft.com | Twitter: andreas_molin

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 1:12 PM

Answers

• just rethinking my last reply... it's the ERP system, right... so it deeply integrates with Office, the mail client, perhaps some document management and archiving solution... forces me to *recommend* my last statement: deploy natively

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

• Marked as answer by Andreas Molin Friday, November 21, 2014 2:23 PM
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 6:44 PM

All replies

• The app works 100% just the issue with a potentially large amount of files in the users COW location?  If that is correct you could do a StartVirtualEnvironment or TerminateVirtualEnvironment script to delete the files from that dir.  Just keep in mind the files will then download every launch, which could take a while depending on the speed and amount of files.

You could even do something crazy like delete the Common AppData from your package, create the folder structure and ACL on the physical drive, and then do cleanup however you would normally (since all the files downloaded will then be outside the VE.)

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:03 PM
  • In the [Advanced] tab you could give the users permissions to write to the VFS. If you don't have the option there you'd need to upgrade to SP2 HF4.

But.

If your users download the data for themselves, that data (initially) gets copied to _every_ user's appdata/local folder. If I just asume that you'd have like 50 country/approle combinations, that'll still be 1 GB per user or so. Downloaded every time a user closes and re-connects to a server. For about whatever amount of users you have in parallel on your Citrix servers (like 50-200).

So, if a 'global super user with all roles' in the app really would consume about 50 GB, I'd try to cluster that (and note.. even if one regions task worker (1GB) + 1 reagion KnowledgeWorker (1GB) + one regions admin (2GB) could sum up to 4 GB, they _might_ share a fair amount of data..

I'd try to identify useful 'clusters' (like if there'd be 10 regions: get an Region_1_AllRoles user, login with that during sequencing, pull down its whatever 10-20 GB, publih that as a seperat application. do the same for other regions.

If there is a common baseline, you also coud use Connection Groups: create one base package that dose contain a quite large amount of data, and then create other packages that contains just the difference to that baseline.

Uhm, or... install it natively ;-)

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 6:39 PM
  • just rethinking my last reply... it's the ERP system, right... so it deeply integrates with Office, the mail client, perhaps some document management and archiving solution... forces me to *recommend* my last statement: deploy natively

Falko

• Marked as answer by Andreas Molin Friday, November 21, 2014 2:23 PM
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 6:44 PM
  • Would a symbolic link work that points to a DFS location?  I am suggesting this under the assumption that in your Citrix environment your servers are in the same data center as the users data.  Without being able to test myself it's hard to say if this would be an option, but downloading 50GB into your Citrix session every time seems like a recipe for disaster.
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 4:01 PM
  • Hi guys!

Sorry for a late reply, it has been a hectic week with to much happening at once.

I contacted the developer as well and got a reply that they do not recommend running it under App-V since changes are made all the time. (Updates every three months)

It might be possible to run it under App-V, but unfortunately my skills are way to low for me to getting it to work. I tried symbolic links as suggested, but the application doesn't handle these very well. (Got more errors in five minutes than during the week I ran Windows ME)

But thanks for the help everyone!!

Best regards
    Andreas Molin

Andreas Molin | Site: www.guidestomicrosoft.com | Twitter: andreas_molin

Friday, November 21, 2014 2:27 PM