Explorer in windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all.  So I have been having issues with windows explorer performing very poorly.  I mean VERY poorly.  For example, simply trying to move a file to a different folder can take 2 seconds, which is ridiculous.  Based on the research I have done, I think I might know why it is happening, and wanted to confirm with the community if this is indeed the likely cause.  My laptop has an ssd installed in it, and I use an application called "SSD fresh" to configure my system in such a way that it is optimized to prolong the life of the ssd.  One of the "optimizations" that it performs is turning off indexing, which effectively disables the windows search service, supposedly because "this causes write operations on the SSD, which reduces its lifetime. If you rarely or never use the Windows search, you can consider turning off this function."  However, I read online that disabling indexing and windows search can lead to the Windows explorer issues that I am experiencing.  If this is true, and I need to re-enable indexing, then my question then becomes how can I optimize my computer to both prolong the life of the ssd while not impacting performance, because obviously the software I am currently using only seeks to prolong the life of the ssd without considering the impacts on performance.  Below is a screen shot of all of the different "optimizations" performed.  Which should be kept and which are complete nonsense?  Please let me know.

Monday, May 20, 2019 5:48 PM

All replies