Tracking emails within mailboxes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

Im a noob 1/2 techie so forgive any things i dont know that i should but i  would like to know if there is a way to track emails inside the mailbox?

At the moment we are having a issue where employees are complaining that emails recieved by shared mailbox are dissapearing to reappear at a later date.

Upon arrival the emails get placed into a folder depending on which state the emails are intended for. One of the states is having an issue where a email recieved (proven) and filed (not proven) a week ago would only show up on the current day causing issues with missed orders. The modified date however shows the current date too so this is why i would like to track the email within the mailstore to confirm it is a system issue not the user covering up.

Server is exchange 2003.

Thanks

Quote by andhey "hmm ill try it later, i accidentally deleted all my tv shows when trying to delete a word document lmao"
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:31 AM

Answers

• Ok, so the email message arrived in Inbox is moved manually to the subfolders, and sometimes it is moved by mistake.

Well, if this is the scenario, I would suggest using Outlook Rules to move email message automatically.

You may use Rules and Alerts wizard in Outlook after logging as the shared mailbox account, and create a new rule and apply it after the message arrives “With XXX in the subject” “move it to the XX folder”. Here XX is the name of state, and XX folder should be resided in the mailbox (not a pst folder). Doing so insure it is a server side rule so we don’t need to logon as the shared user account all the time. And then ask your users to send email message to the shared mailbox using the specific subject.

Hope it is helpful.

Best regards,

Fiona Liao

Friday, July 15, 2011 3:31 AM

All replies

• So you would like to monitor who/what delete the email in the shared mailbox, is that correct?

In Exchange 2007, you may enable mailbox auditing, however in exchange 2003, there is no such feature.

Can you provide more information on the shared folder. Is it place the mail message via Outlook rules or you place the email message manually?

Thanks,

Best regards,

Fiona Liao

Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:02 AM
  • Hi,

Thankyou for the reply and yes that is correct. 

The messages from all states order systems arrive into the inbox of the mailbox. the team leader/members drag emails from the inbox to the sub folders depending on which state the order is for.

Have not looked into automation of the process yet. have had too many other issues pop up (just started working here)

Thanks 
    Quote by andhey "hmm ill try it later, i accidentally deleted all my tv shows when trying to delete a word document lmao"
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:16 AM
  • Ok, so the email message arrived in Inbox is moved manually to the subfolders, and sometimes it is moved by mistake.

Well, if this is the scenario, I would suggest using Outlook Rules to move email message automatically.

You may use Rules and Alerts wizard in Outlook after logging as the shared mailbox account, and create a new rule and apply it after the message arrives “With XXX in the subject” “move it to the XX folder”. Here XX is the name of state, and XX folder should be resided in the mailbox (not a pst folder). Doing so insure it is a server side rule so we don’t need to logon as the shared user account all the time. And then ask your users to send email message to the shared mailbox using the specific subject.

Hope it is helpful.

Best regards,

Fiona Liao

Friday, July 15, 2011 3:31 AM