WSS 2.0 Data Rescue - Help needed! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody!

I hope to find some helpfull input from some WSS 2.0 professional to solve a desaster situation.

Environment: Server 2003R2 Std. virtualized on a Server 2008R2, SP1
    Situation: The Virtual Hard Disk is corrupt and won't boot up (0x000000ED), but the virtual hard disk can be accessed and browsed by 7zip just like a mounted HDD.

Is there any way to extract the files/databases containing the WSS 2.0 companyweb content so that these data can be imported into a new and fresh 2003R2 Installation? There is no backup on customer side, but WSS 2.0 contains a lot of important data.

I did extract all files and sub directories living in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\" to a save place.

What can I do from here on to make the data accessible again?
    I am thankfull for any helpfull input!

Best Regards

Ralf DK

Friday, December 9, 2011 9:05 PM

Answers

• Hello Ralf,

If you have successfully recovered the SQL Server data (.MDF) and log (.LDF) files for the Content Database which belonged to companyweb SharePoint site, you could be able to recover the data.

Broadly -
    1) Setup another Win2003 environment and install required OS patches
    2) Install SQL Server on same or different box (SQL server should be on same or higher version/build as the previous one)
    3) Attach database to SQL and ensure it attaches successfully
    4) Now install WSS 2.0 (WSS should be on same or higher version/build as the previous one)
    5) Create a new farm (new configuration database) and create a new web application (This would create a new Content DB in SQL), site collection and ensure you are able to browse to this new SharePoint site with http://newservername
    6) From Central Admin Content Databases management page, detach this newly created DB from SharePoint.
    7) Attach the recovered content DB to SharePoint and try to browse to your companyweb site with http://newservername. Once the site comes up, it should have all your content.

Note: If you had multiple content databases in your previous configuration and have recovered all of them successfully, you'll need to attach each one of them using Step 7 so that all your content is available.

You could also refer to below articles.

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    Monday, December 12, 2011 1:35 PM
  • Hello Ralf,

Considering you're going by steps given by me -
    1) You will need to install SQL Server manually as you rightly mentioned SBS would install "light" or "embedded" version of SQL. If you dont have full SQL Server, you could download and install SQL Express Edition (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5897) too and attach databases using SQL Management Studio.
    2) It doesnt matter in which directory the databases are present  for you to attach; In SQL Server Management Studio you could right click and choose option to Attach and point to the MDF file and LDF file. Once a DB is attached, it would show up in the list on left side.

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    • Marked as answer by RalfDK Tuesday, December 13, 2011 5:01 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 4:40 PM

All replies

• Hello Ralf,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Thanks,
    Rock Wang
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    Monday, December 12, 2011 12:00 PM
  • Hello Ralf,

If you have successfully recovered the SQL Server data (.MDF) and log (.LDF) files for the Content Database which belonged to companyweb SharePoint site, you could be able to recover the data.

Broadly -
    2) Install SQL Server on same or different box (SQL server should be on same or higher version/build as the previous one)
    3) Attach database to SQL and ensure it attaches successfully
    4) Now install WSS 2.0 (WSS should be on same or higher version/build as the previous one)
    5) Create a new farm (new configuration database) and create a new web application (This would create a new Content DB in SQL), site collection and ensure you are able to browse to this new SharePoint site with http://newservername
    6) From Central Admin Content Databases management page, detach this newly created DB from SharePoint.
    7) Attach the recovered content DB to SharePoint and try to browse to your companyweb site with http://newservername. Once the site comes up, it should have all your content.

Note: If you had multiple content databases in your previous configuration and have recovered all of them successfully, you'll need to attach each one of them using Step 7 so that all your content is available.

You could also refer to below articles.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Monday, December 12, 2011 1:35 PM
  • Dear Nishant,

tks for your feedback!
    Just for your understanding, I do not know much about WSS and barely anything about SQL servers. Having said that here is what I did so far before your post reached me:

• I did Set up a new physical 2003R2 with all SPs and updates.
    • Server has the same name as the previous one which is "companyweb"
    • I installed WSS2.0 and updated it to SP3 (just like it was on the old machine)
    • I tested the new and empty WSS Site http://companyweb sucessfully
    • Now I got bold..., stoped the SQL service, renamed the target SQL directory and pasted the slavaged SQL dircectory in place
    • Well, as expected it does not work, because it can not authenticate at the konfigration DB
    • This new Server is workgroup based and not a domain member (yet), so I assume a local admin can't authenticate.
    • There is only the MSDE installed comming this the WSS2.0 rolle in 23003R2. No SQL management studio or the like.

This is not quite the sequence you described, but my hope was to somehow access this database to run at least stsadm backup to then have a .dat file to import into the final machine.

In case I have a way to go from here please let me know. If not, I will crash den new mashine and set it up again, which is only 1/2 hr from the backup, but WSS is intalled on the backup already.

Hope you have some more advise for me

Kind Regards

Ralf DK

• Edited by RalfDK Monday, December 12, 2011 2:54 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 2:53 PM
  • Hello Ralf,

I wouldnt suggest replacing the entire SQL data folder as that may replace the master DB (and other System DBs) and may lead to unexpected behavior. If you can revert back the "bold" actions, please do that and follow from my step 3 else you can rebuild and start afresh.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Monday, December 12, 2011 3:08 PM
  • Dear Nishant,

thanks four your rapid reply!

I reverted it back to the initial (and empty) WSS site. Then I tried to follow your tip http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827701 but somewhere on the way it fails. This KB article also referes to the SBS version which we don'have in this case. Since this did not help here my question.

Your step 3 says "Attach database to SQL and ensure it attaches successfully". Please remember, I am not very knowledgeable in SQL so I don't even know how to do step 3.
    There is no "real" SQL Server only what comes with WSS 2.0. So also no SQL Konfiguration tool. And different as in the steps you listed, WSS 2.0 is installed already. Is this a problem?

Sorry to be so "stupid", but what do I have to do?
    Do I have to unstall WSS2.0 funktionality from the Server and install some SQL Server first? If so, which one shall I install

Happy for any input.

Kind regards

Ralf DK

Monday, December 12, 2011 4:23 PM
  • Hello Ralf,

Considering you're going by steps given by me -
    1) You will need to install SQL Server manually as you rightly mentioned SBS would install "light" or "embedded" version of SQL. If you dont have full SQL Server, you could download and install SQL Express Edition (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5897) too and attach databases using SQL Management Studio.
    2) It doesnt matter in which directory the databases are present  for you to attach; In SQL Server Management Studio you could right click and choose option to Attach and point to the MDF file and LDF file. Once a DB is attached, it would show up in the list on left side.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    • Marked as answer by RalfDK Tuesday, December 13, 2011 5:01 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 4:40 PM
  • Dear Nishant,

thanks a lot for your patience and assistance. I followed your steps in detail this time with no "bold actions", read all KB articles I could find to better understand what some of the steps you listed realy mean and require me to do. Once it worked the first time I crashed the mashine, built it from scratch and did the same "salvage actions" again to really be sure that I know what I was doing - and it worked again!

Thanks mate! WSS is up and running at customers site and everybody is happy.

Since I don't know much about WSS and SQL in general I had kind of a hard time understanding some of the steps you listed. In case someone with my level of WSS knowledge is facing a similar situation, I took your list and extended it by some links, MS articles and comments. With this everybody should be able to follow your steps for desaster recovery.

++++ Steps to follow ++++

SQL Express 2005 can be downloaded here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5897
        No client installations are needed except for management studio, which is needed in Step 3.
    3) Attach database to SQL and ensure it attaches successfully.
        It doesnt matter in which directory the databases are present  for you to attach; In SQL Server Management Studio you
        could right click and choose option to attach and point to the MDF file and LDF file. Once a DB is attached, it would show up in
        the list on left side.   
        Be sure to not install it from the Server Manager as role, as this will install SQL2000 Desktop Engine and create
        the SharePoint DBs in MSDE. You can install it from Control/Software/Add Windows Components (requires CD2 of 2003R2)
        or you download STSv2.exe (WSS 2.0 SP2)  from here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17000
        When using the STSv2.exe read this first: How-to: Install Windows SharePoint Services without installing MSDE !!
        When being prompted choose "Create New Farm" (First part of step 5 below).
        Helpfull links to better understand what is meant by the above are these:
        Managing the Configuration Database (Windows SharePoint Services 2.0),  
        Extending Virtual Servers (Windows SharePoint Services 2.0)
        For more details read Managing Content Databases (Windows SharePoint Services 2.0) 
        In case your salvaged DB comes from a WSS 2.0 SP3 installation you need to install SP3 before attaching the salvaged DB.
        Download WSS 2.0 SP3 (only SP3) here http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=10404.

If you want to manage different sites in IIS and your SharePoint site shall not be part of IIS's standard website, you should first of all crate a new virtual server or web site in IIS to host your SharePoint Installation
    How to create a new virtual server or Web site in Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0

Thanks and kind regards

Ralf DK

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 5:01 PM
  • Hi Ralf,

I am glad that the solution was helpful in resolving the issue and thank you for the detailed steps as well, it could certainly help someone who may face similar situation.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 7:15 AM