[WIN7RC BUGS] Border Padding, Changing Drive Letter, IE FTP RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Border:

I'm using the nice glass interface, when I set my window Border Padding to over 15 then maximizing the window no longer takes into account the start menu and they maximize behind the start bar.

It takes the sum of the Active Window Border + Border Padding to be over 15 before this happens. The result is the same if my Task Bar is left aligned or Top aligned. Why would I want a thick border? It looks great.

Changing Drive Letter:

When changing the drive letter using compmgmt on a drive which has my user shell profile folders (My Documents, Desktop, My Music...), windows starts giving a 'server' error because the shell folder's are still pointing to the old location. It would be nice if before the drive letter change is committed, a check is done on the shell folders to give the user the option to change them also to the new drive letter.

IE FTP:

Everyone has this same prob. The explorer style ftp view doesn't let you upload files: (I'm using ie x64)

"
    An error occurred opening the folder of the FTP Server. Make sure you
    have permission to access this folder.

Details:
    The handle is invalid.
    "

For this one, just don't use that feature of the ie
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:52 PM

All replies

• 1) Why would you need such a big boarder padding? It may look good but it takes up far too much room and in the end it is useless.
    2) If you change a major drive letter it is recommended to restart so that windows and any other programs can re-detect the changes.
    3) Use IEx86(32bit) if your having issues and make sure your server or the server your connecting to can detect(is compatible) the new version of IE.
    • Proposed as answer by JJTech Wednesday, July 15, 2009 11:01 PM
    • Edited by JJTech Wednesday, July 15, 2009 11:55 PM
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 11:00 PM
  • 1) Why would you need such a big boarder padding? It may look good but it takes up far too much room and in the end it is useless.
    2) If you change a major drive letter it is recommended to restart so that windows and any other programs can re-detect the changes.
    3) Use IEx86(32bit) if your having issues and make sure your server or the server your connecting to can detect(is compatible) the new version of IE.

1) I knew someone was going to ask this. My answer is: you do what you want, I'll do what I want (not wanting to sound rude).

2) That is a good recommendation. In this instance I restarted and that's when the problem became evident. Ideally the software would do a quick 1 second check before hand or  mention that user account folders could not be accessible afterwards and the user may not be able to log in. Of course it's not easy to account for all the things a user may do but for a simple one like that it'd be nice to have.

3) Sadly the issue on this one isn't x64 vs x86 but you're onto something with waiting for the server to support ie8. The ftp folder view is the feature I like most about ie (Firefox is my main browser since IE7, for the toolbar layout) so for now I'll just use the command line for my small ftp interactions.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:38 AM