Way to edit registry so newly installed internal hard drive shows in send to list? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new XPS 420 running Vista (with SP1). I installed a second internal hard drive to use for extra storage. The new drive is not being used in any RAID configuration. After installation, I successfully initialized and formatted the new drive using disc management. The new drive shows up when I click the Computer (used to be My computer) icon and I can send files to the new drive by copying and pasting. However, I found that the new drive is not listed in the send to menu when I right click on a file or folder in Windows Explorer. I did discover a way to add a shortcut for the new drive to the send to list.... and this solution does work. I have heard that there is a way to edit the registry so that the new drive will appear and be listed with the other drives already in my send to list (and not be listed as a shortcut). Anybody done this or know how this can be done??

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 4:37 PM

Answers

•  

Hi, you can refer to the following knowledge base article to accomplish this:

How to Add Items to the "Send To" Menu in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310270

If you encountered permission error when trying to open the "Send to" folder, you can follow the steps below to reset permission:

1. Open My Computer, locate C:\users\[your username].

2. Right-click on the folder on and choose Properties.

3. Click the "Security" tab and see if "Administrators" is listed in the "Group or user names" list. If not, please click the Add button, type "Administrators" in the "Enter the object names to select " box, then click "OK" to add this group.

4. Select "Administrators" from the list and then check the "Allow" checkbox next to "Full Control".

5. Click the Advanced button and click the "Owner" tab.

6. Select "Administrators" from the list and check the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" checkbox.

7. Click "OK" to save changes and wait for Windows XP to transfer the ownership of all the objects on the partition.

8. Click OK again to save changes and exit the Properties window.

Friday, June 6, 2008 7:50 AM