none
Exchange 2013 - Need to delay outbound mass mail

Question

• Hi,

I have a customer with an IBM i-series with a custom application which generates invoices and attaches to emails, then relay off Exchange 2013 in-house to send out to the various internet email recipients.  The application on the i-series is not intelligent, simply shoves all emails to Exchange 2013 for outbound delivery all in one shot.  To avoid their external MX record's public IP address from getting blacklisted, I need to come up with a way to delay outbound mail delivery sourced from the in-house application.  I have the idea of setting up a separate receive connector that receives mail only from the i-series but with some limits on the receive connector itself.

Here are a couple articles that document possible way to do this.  

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125140(v=exchg.150).aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh529935(v=exchg.141).aspx

My question is if anyone has done this before and what happens when the relay source sends over the limit set on the receive connector?  thanks

Friday, March 24, 2017 7:31 PM

All replies

• ^

Seriously for the useless response 

Monday, April 3, 2017 2:16 PM
  • Why would that get them blacklisted?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Monday, April 3, 2017 6:44 PM
  • Why wouldn't it?  I have seen it many times.  Blasting out over 1000 emails in a short period of time out the same natted public IP address gets you automatically onto comcast.net and gmail.com's greylist in no time.  You see a "deferred" error message in Exchange's mail queue.  Upon looking into the SMTP error, you need to go to their website's specific admin pages to get yourself off their greylist.  They rate limit and block you actively.
    Monday, April 3, 2017 8:12 PM
  • Sounds like it's deserved to me.  I think your app should send its spam through some other service instead of your Exchange server.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 5:06 AM