Need to refine searches in Windows 7 (and server 2008) RRS feed

• Question

• I need to perform a Windows XP-like search and cannot find a method of doing so. Windosw XP allowed a "search-within-a-search", for example:

File Name:
    *abc*.txt

Word or phrase within the file:
    ..\interface\100\

Search in:
    D:\DATA\TextFiles

This effectively proposes three levels of filtering simultaneously: Location, file name, content.

I cannot find this in Windows 7 (or W2008 server) and for historical reasons cannot work without it. I am about to lose all WXP access to the drives concerned. I would be willing to accept a DOS command script, or PowerShell script.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give on this subject.

Paul ROBERTSON

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 1:50 PM

All replies

• I've gotten very attached to the findstr command.  It will let you search wildcarded filenames for multiple strings, on a specified path or paths, with or without including subfolders.  Options include case-insensitive search, listing files that do not match, and even regular expressions.

And unlike many other command-line tools, it sees hidden and system files.

• Edited by jjjdavidson Wednesday, March 11, 2015 3:43 PM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2015 3:42 PM
  • Hello Paul J. ROBERTSON,

Have you tried the suggestion as jjjdavidson mentioned?

For more information as command findstr, please refer to the following article.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490907.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 2:31 AM
  • Hi -

& thanks to J Davidson. Yes I agree that this can do it, and although a bit more laborious than the GUI of Windows XP, it has a lot more flexibility. Consider my life saved.

The example I gave in the original question would resolve to:

C:\Windows\System32>D:
    D:\>cd DATA\TextFiles
    D:\DATA\TextFiles>findstr /S /C:..\interface\100\ *abc*.txt

It does the business, but is much slower if you type it out without creating a batch file. Microsoft cannot argue that this is a step forward for the average user, but thanks Guys, case closed.

Paul ROBERTSON

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 11:35 AM