none
What is required to access Project Server 2013 using a browser? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I can't seem to find a definitive feature set list and software prerequisite.

Is Sharepoint 2013 required or is IIS sufficient to access PS2013 using a browser.

Thank you! Caesar.

Thanks!

Saturday, October 17, 2015 7:02 PM

Answers

• When you install SharePoint Server 2013 is a required prerequisite for Project Server 2013.  

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

• Marked as answer by Skecher Sunday, October 18, 2015 3:51 AM
    Saturday, October 17, 2015 7:59 PM
  • Hi,

Your question is pretty unclear. are referring to Install Project Server or allowing Your users to access Project site? Please elaborate bit more.

1. If its for Clients, Its just the browser (IE or Edge Recommended) they need to access PWA Portal, nothing else.

2. in order to Install Project Server, You need to have SharePoint Server Deployed in place. Project Server resides on top of SharePoint Server.

Let us know if you need any further information.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark this as answer if it was helpful for you.

Sunday, October 18, 2015 3:43 AM
  • Hello,

Yes, above list is correct for a setup. You can do a standalone Deployment using two VMs.

1. Active Directory/DNS Server (Because SharePoint doesn't support Workgroup mode anymore so AD is a must to have for Authentication and Authorization)

2. SharePoint, SQL, Project Server (Standalone)

So the steps would be as follows:

a. Prepare Active directory/DNS Server with User accounts and Permissions

b. Create new server for project/SharePoint and join it to AD

c. Install SQL on Project Server

d. Install and configure SharePoint on the same Server

e. Install and configure Project Server on the same Server

If you have an Active directory already, you can use it else you need a new server for AD.

Refer here for:

Step by Step SharePoint Deployment -

http://akanoongo.blogspot.com/2012/08/sharepoint-2013-step-by-step.html

step by step Project Server Deployment -

https://alinimer.wordpress.com/2013/02/27/install-configure-and-deploy-project-server-2013-part-1/

Let us know How it goes. Cheers !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, October 18, 2015 4:06 AM
  • Hi,

There are set of Service accounts needs to be created in the AD (AD Users) in order to Install and configure SharePoint with recommendations -

http://www.toddklindt.com/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=391

or you can even run all the services using SP-Farm account (Which is also a Domain User Account to be created before you setup SharePoint) Best practice is to use dedicated account for each major Service as stated in above post.

Domain Admin or Local Admins are should not be used for SharePoint at any point. If you are a beginner, just create a New Domain user as - DomainName\SPFarm and use it when you joining your SharePoint Server to the Domain. and then login to that Server as local admin and Grant SPFarm to the Local Admin Group and Remote Desktop Users Group for the Local Server. Then sign out and login to the Server using SPFarm and Perform your SP Installation.

Same way for the SQL. It's recommended to have a dedicated account for SQL Services but you can run it Using Farm Account as well. If it's a development setup, go ahead and login to your SQL Server using SPFarm and Install your SQL Using the SPFarm account and add it to all Administrative and Highest level Permissions during the SQL Instance Installation.

Sorry for not Sharing this earlier as there are bunch of posts out there with these basics :)

Keep Reading and you will find out why multiple accounts are used. When you complete the Farm Installation SPFarm is the Farm Account which is the Top Level account which has highest privileges in the Farm. Later You can create other users in AD and add them to your Site collections. that is called SharePoint Site level Permissions !

Let us know how you doin.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Mark this as answer if it was helpful

• Marked as answer by Skecher Monday, October 19, 2015 2:53 AM
    Monday, October 19, 2015 2:40 AM
  • It will be worth getting dirty in POC, don't worry as you will learn there a lot. Please note below three points in terms of Identity.

1. SQL Server Needs its own Service account in order to Run its services (SQLSvc)

2. SharePoint is the same. SharePoint needs multiple set of accounts for its vast set of services to run separately which is secure and recommended.

3. Project Server needs it's own set of service accounts and Groups.

Understanding these basics will lead you to a Proper Setup in Production.

• Marked as answer by Skecher Tuesday, October 20, 2015 7:32 PM
    Monday, October 19, 2015 3:17 AM
  • If you want step by step video training on this, please check out my video on Pluralsight - http://www.pluralsight.com/courses/project-server-2013-installation .  you can get a foc 10 day trial which would hopefully get you sorted.

Monday, October 19, 2015 12:02 PM

All replies

• When you install SharePoint Server 2013 is a required prerequisite for Project Server 2013.  

Saturday, October 17, 2015 7:59 PM
  • Hi,

Your question is pretty unclear. are referring to Install Project Server or allowing Your users to access Project site? Please elaborate bit more.

1. If its for Clients, Its just the browser (IE or Edge Recommended) they need to access PWA Portal, nothing else.

2. in order to Install Project Server, You need to have SharePoint Server Deployed in place. Project Server resides on top of SharePoint Server.

Let us know if you need any further information.

Sunday, October 18, 2015 3:43 AM
  • Hi, Thanks!

It's #2. So I need to install (using MSDN licenses to do a POC):

1. Windows Server 2012 R2
    2. SQL Server 2012 Enterprise 2012
    3. SharePoint Server 2013 SP1
    4. Project Server 2013

Can they be installed all on the same virtual machine? or must they be separate (AD, SQL, SharePoint)?

Is there a step by step installation guide?

Thanks again! Caesar.

Thanks!

Sunday, October 18, 2015 3:51 AM
  • Hello,

Yes, above list is correct for a setup. You can do a standalone Deployment using two VMs.

1. Active Directory/DNS Server (Because SharePoint doesn't support Workgroup mode anymore so AD is a must to have for Authentication and Authorization)

2. SharePoint, SQL, Project Server (Standalone)

So the steps would be as follows:

a. Prepare Active directory/DNS Server with User accounts and Permissions

b. Create new server for project/SharePoint and join it to AD

c. Install SQL on Project Server

d. Install and configure SharePoint on the same Server

e. Install and configure Project Server on the same Server

If you have an Active directory already, you can use it else you need a new server for AD.

Refer here for:

Step by Step SharePoint Deployment -

http://akanoongo.blogspot.com/2012/08/sharepoint-2013-step-by-step.html

step by step Project Server Deployment -

https://alinimer.wordpress.com/2013/02/27/install-configure-and-deploy-project-server-2013-part-1/

Let us know How it goes. Cheers !

Sunday, October 18, 2015 4:06 AM
  • Wow, I will try these out!

Thank you, Caesar.

Thanks!

Sunday, October 18, 2015 4:10 AM
  • Sure Caesar, Keep posting on your progress !

Good luck !

Sunday, October 18, 2015 4:12 AM
  • OK so following http://akanoongo.blogspot.com/2012/08/sharepoint-2013-step-by-step.html

For SQL Server 2012 configuration I had to add an Inbound Rule to Windows Firewall to allow inbound on port 1433 (which is the default SQL Server port).

For Sharepoint server, for some reason even though the domain administrator is part of the local administrators group, for some reason, when creating sites I had to make the local administrator the site administrator, otherwise the domain admin wouldn't have permissions to view the site.

Thanks!

Sunday, October 18, 2015 10:30 PM
  • OK figured out why as domain admin when I create a sharepoint site, I get "Sorry this site hasn't been shared with you" message.

It turned out that the domain admin wasn't part of the farm administrators group. Only the local machine admin was part of that group.

Solution: add the domain admin to the farm administrators group from the Sharepoint Central Administration tool.

2 hours of my life I can't get back ... hope this helps somebody :-)

Thanks!

Sunday, October 18, 2015 10:37 PM
  • Hi,

There are set of Service accounts needs to be created in the AD (AD Users) in order to Install and configure SharePoint with recommendations -

http://www.toddklindt.com/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=391

or you can even run all the services using SP-Farm account (Which is also a Domain User Account to be created before you setup SharePoint) Best practice is to use dedicated account for each major Service as stated in above post.

Domain Admin or Local Admins are should not be used for SharePoint at any point. If you are a beginner, just create a New Domain user as - DomainName\SPFarm and use it when you joining your SharePoint Server to the Domain. and then login to that Server as local admin and Grant SPFarm to the Local Admin Group and Remote Desktop Users Group for the Local Server. Then sign out and login to the Server using SPFarm and Perform your SP Installation.

Same way for the SQL. It's recommended to have a dedicated account for SQL Services but you can run it Using Farm Account as well. If it's a development setup, go ahead and login to your SQL Server using SPFarm and Install your SQL Using the SPFarm account and add it to all Administrative and Highest level Permissions during the SQL Instance Installation.

Sorry for not Sharing this earlier as there are bunch of posts out there with these basics :)

Keep Reading and you will find out why multiple accounts are used. When you complete the Farm Installation SPFarm is the Farm Account which is the Top Level account which has highest privileges in the Farm. Later You can create other users in AD and add them to your Site collections. that is called SharePoint Site level Permissions !

Let us know how you doin.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Mark this as answer if it was helpful

• Marked as answer by Skecher Monday, October 19, 2015 2:53 AM
    Monday, October 19, 2015 2:40 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, I'm doing this as a quick and dirty POC, hence heavy handed with all the admin permissions.

I'm hanging in there but I may have to scrap the VMs and start from scratch.

Thanks, Caesar.

Thanks!

Monday, October 19, 2015 2:55 AM
  • It will be worth getting dirty in POC, don't worry as you will learn there a lot. Please note below three points in terms of Identity.

1. SQL Server Needs its own Service account in order to Run its services (SQLSvc)

2. SharePoint is the same. SharePoint needs multiple set of accounts for its vast set of services to run separately which is secure and recommended.

3. Project Server needs it's own set of service accounts and Groups.

Understanding these basics will lead you to a Proper Setup in Production.

Monday, October 19, 2015 3:17 AM
  • If you want step by step video training on this, please check out my video on Pluralsight - http://www.pluralsight.com/courses/project-server-2013-installation .  you can get a foc 10 day trial which would hopefully get you sorted.

Monday, October 19, 2015 12:02 PM
  • OK, I got as far as completing the installation of Project Server 2013 yaay! (all the way through Sharepoint Product Configuration Wizard).

Problem is the PWA does not get created. Poking around in Manage service applications I see Project Server Service Application is Stopped. I then try to start this service, but it is still stopped.

How can I troubleshoot further?

Thank you, Caesar.

Thanks!

Monday, October 19, 2015 9:35 PM
  • Woohoo! I have it all installed. I had to reboot between steps.

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 1:33 AM
  • Great ! Good Luck with it !
    Tuesday, October 20, 2015 2:14 AM