WSUS and Required Domain Functional Level for Windows 10 updates? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

So recently I noticed our WSUS server wasn't pushing patches and the reports said needed patches were rising as time went on.   When I asked our sys admin about this he said he needed to 'update the domain functional level from 2008 to 2008R2' because WSUS wasn't able to patch windows 10 machines since our funtional level was on 2008 (said he saw it on a forum somewhere).  This didn't make any sense to me and I found several areas that were not configured properly in WSUS (Like the fact that it was only set to approve critical updates).  To make a long story short, I pointed out the issues and our needed patches have been dropping in the reports but both my sys admin and Director claim that the functional level had to be at least 2008R2 for WSUS to function correctly.   My experience and research couldn't find anything to affirm this.   Can someone tell me if the functional level has any impact on WSUS???  

much appreciated.

Friday, February 2, 2018 2:03 PM

Answers

• For an important thing like this there surely would be some official document stating something about the compatibility. The only thing that matters is that the GPO applies correctly...

Regards

Simon

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful. Regards Simon

• Marked as answer by Thorskills Sunday, February 4, 2018 2:57 PM
    Friday, February 2, 2018 3:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Thorskills,

I didn't any requirements for Windows 10 and Wsus. The best thing you can do is look in the WSUS console for unapproved Windows 10 updates and approve them, then do a manual check for update on the client to see if it downloads the new updates.

Regards

Simon

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful. Regards Simon

Friday, February 2, 2018 2:47 PM
  • Hi Simon,

My only question is, 'Is the domain functional level tied to WSUS in any way at all?'.   I believe WSUS is functioning correctly now after I pointed out some mis-configuration issues.  

Friday, February 2, 2018 3:15 PM
  • For an important thing like this there surely would be some official document stating something about the compatibility. The only thing that matters is that the GPO applies correctly...

Regards

Simon

• Marked as answer by Thorskills Sunday, February 4, 2018 2:57 PM
    Friday, February 2, 2018 3:29 PM