none
Removing Disk from pool RRS feed

• Question

• I have a disk array that was configured improperly and I want to expire the data on it over time so I can reconfigure it and re-add it later. I dont want to migrate from one disk to another because I dont have a place to migrate to. I just want to stop the disk from being used untill everything expires. I have another array still in it that is being used so I will still have backups without using this drive. So the main question is there a way to mark a disk as not available for new volumes but wont move the current volumes somewere else I.E. MigrateDatasource script?

Thanks for any help,

Thursday, July 5, 2012 1:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I don't think what you are asking for can be done.  Even If I gave you a method of removing that disk from the DPM storage pool, that disk will still be used for future backups and and restores for the data sources using it, but will not be used for any NEW volumes for additional data sources you protect. 

To be clear, those recovery points will NEVER expire if new recovery points are not being made, and without migrating the datasources to new disks, new recovery points will continue to use that disk.  DPM prunes disk based recovery points on a FIFO basis, if no new RP's get cretaed, old ones never get pruned.

The only way to remove that disk is to:

A) Stop protection and delete replica volumes to free up the space and have the volumes deleted by DPM.
    -OR-
    B) Use the MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM script. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 5, 2012 6:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I don't think what you are asking for can be done.  Even If I gave you a method of removing that disk from the DPM storage pool, that disk will still be used for future backups and and restores for the data sources using it, but will not be used for any NEW volumes for additional data sources you protect. 

To be clear, those recovery points will NEVER expire if new recovery points are not being made, and without migrating the datasources to new disks, new recovery points will continue to use that disk.  DPM prunes disk based recovery points on a FIFO basis, if no new RP's get cretaed, old ones never get pruned.

The only way to remove that disk is to:

A) Stop protection and delete replica volumes to free up the space and have the volumes deleted by DPM.
    -OR-
    B) Use the MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM script. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 5, 2012 6:03 PM
  • That is what I thought, but I was hoping that there was a work around. This could be a problem for others as well if they don’t have room in a storage array to add disks to migrate to, but could benefit from rearranging some disks in the array.

Thanks anyway for the info,

Dave

Thursday, July 5, 2012 7:12 PM