Unable to Download Deployment Workbench Updates in MDT 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed MDT 2010 and Windows 7 AIK (x64) on my HP Compaq 8710w notebook running Windows Vista SP2 x86.

When I attempt to run the "Update Components" wizard in the Deployment Workbench, I am getting the following error message:

The process completed with 1 error(s):

Unable to download the manifest from the Internet. Is the computer connected to the internet?  An exception occurred during a WebClient request.

I have reviewed the documentation but cannot find anything relating to this particular issue.  I have ensured there is over 20GB of free disk space on my c:\ partition [there is 37GB available].  I have confirmed MSXML 6.0 and WAIK are installed and operating correctly - I have used them to create WinPE images.

Any assistance or advice would be appreciated.

Sunday, June 20, 2010 11:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research, error 1603 occurs if you don’t have full control permissions on installing ACT. Please uninstall ACT completely,  turn off UAC temporarily,  then reinstall the latest version of ACT 5.6.

Meanwhile, manually downloading the Microsoft Assessment and Planning (MAP) Toolkit and the Office Migration Planning Manager. You can download them from the following links:

Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit

Microsoft Office Migration Planning Manager

Best Regards

Dale Qiao
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you.
    • Marked as answer by Dave2U Thursday, June 24, 2010 1:20 AM
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 4:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

Please install the 32bit Windows AIK, you can download it from the following website:

The Windows® Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows® 7

Dale Qiao
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Monday, June 21, 2010 1:48 AM
  • Hi Dale,

Sorry about that!  It was past my bed time when I submitted my original question...

What I meant to say was that I had successfully downloaded both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions of the Windows AIK [Version 6.1.7600.16385] in MDT 2010. The 32-bit version of the Windows AIK is installed on my HP Compaq 8710w Mobile Workstation.

Other downloaded components include USMT [Version 3.0.1] for x86 and x64, Application Compatibility Toolkit [Version 5.5], Office Migration Planning Manager and Microsoft Assessment and Planning (MAP) Toolkit [Version 4.0].  When I attempted to install the ACT 5.5, I got an "Error (1603)".  I am not presented with options to install when I select the Office Migration Planning Manager or the Microsoft Assessment and Planning (MAP) Toolkit.

I have since upgraded MDT to MDT 2010 - Update 1 [Version 5.1.1641.58].  When I click on the "Check for Updates" in the components section of MDT, the error message described in my original post continues to appear.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:19 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, error 1603 occurs if you don’t have full control permissions on installing ACT. Please uninstall ACT completely,  turn off UAC temporarily,  then reinstall the latest version of ACT 5.6.

Meanwhile, manually downloading the Microsoft Assessment and Planning (MAP) Toolkit and the Office Migration Planning Manager. You can download them from the following links:

Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit

Microsoft Office Migration Planning Manager

Best Regards

Dale Qiao

• Marked as answer by Dave2U Thursday, June 24, 2010 1:20 AM
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 4:33 AM
  • Hi Dale,

You said the magic words "full control permissions".  As soon as I started Deployment Workbench using "Runas Administrator", the issues disappeared.  I'm in the habit of running programs with "least privileges" and it appears that for download and installation within the Components section - and likely other operations in Deployment Workbench - administrator level permissions are required.

Thanks a million!

Cheers,

Dave2U

Thursday, June 24, 2010 1:25 AM
  • I'm glad to see you resolved the issue. Thanks again for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums. You're always welcome~

Best Regards

Dale Qiao

Thursday, June 24, 2010 1:58 AM