none
Steps required to Backup User Data in MDT? RRS feed

• Question

• So I wanted to Sysprep and Capture a machine that had been used by user for some time, therefore needed to backup the User Profile along with files and documents.

So my question is what steps are needed to be added into the default Sysprep and Capture template? I'd like it to be working like the way the Install Operating system template where it backups user data and restore it later.

Could it be the inclusion of the State Capture phase?

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 2:46 AM

All replies

• yes, State Capture will initiate scanstate.exe to create a USMT backup of the profile data. 
    • Proposed as answer by gbillig Wednesday, July 3, 2013 12:46 PM
    Wednesday, July 3, 2013 12:46 PM
  • Where do you suggest i put the State Capture step at?

Should i just run the ZTIUSerState.wsf only?

Thursday, July 4, 2013 1:39 AM
  •  Hi 

Please follow the below link for the User data backups.  

http://scriptimus.wordpress.com/2011/05/25/mdt-2010-user-state-migration/

ADD the below TS steps to the Sysprep and Capture TS

Offline User State Capture 

User State Restore 

U can find this steps in the "Standard client task sequence"

Thursday, July 4, 2013 12:13 PM
  • Answers provided by Jack and Kavin should help with the User State capture.  However, I'm curious why you'd want to capture User State from a Reference Image (assuming that's what you are doing with Sysprep and Capture Task Sequence).  If the goal is just to backup the user data, then ScanState / LoadState (USMT) could work, or you could just do it with the Migration Wizard (also known as Easy Transfer) included in Windows 7/8.  Just want to make sure I understand what your goals are (and what the Sysprep and Capture has to do with this question).

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

• Proposed as answer by יובל Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:33 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by יובל Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:33 PM
    Thursday, July 4, 2013 9:39 PM
    Answerer
  • Copy Your USMT folder to C: drive before Sysprep your computer.

Create a folder in MDT server and share with admin permission "\\in-glim-mdt\user"

Run the below command in ADMIN CMD

c:\usmt\x86>scanstate \\in-glim-mdt\user\"computername" /i:MigApp.xml /v:13 /l:MigAppscanstate.log

c:\usmt\x86>scanstate \\in-glim-mdt\user\"computername" /i:MigDocs.xml /v:13 /l:MigDocsscanstate.log

c:\usmt\x86>scanstate \\in-glim-mdt\user\"computername" /i:MigUser.xml.xml /v:13 /l:MigUserscanstate.log

Run the Sysprep TS once the reference image is created.

run the restored in the Captured computer

c:\usmt\x86>loadstate \\in-glim-mdt\user\"computername" /i:MigApp.xml /v:13 /l:MigApp.log

c:\usmt\x86>loadstate \\in-glim-mdt\user\"computername" /i:MigDocs.xml /v:13 /l:MigDocs.log

c:\usmt\x86>loadstate \\in-glim-mdt\user\"computername" /i:MigUser.xml.xml /v:13 /l:MigUser.log

you will get the all user back up this will be a good scenario

capturing the User data during the Sysprep is not a good idea

Friday, July 5, 2013 6:47 AM
  • I was trying to capture some machines that has already been used by users. So i was hoping maybe i could backup their data and capture the machine at the same time.
    Monday, July 8, 2013 2:24 AM
  • first do the User data back up using the above steps than run the capture TS on that machine
    Monday, July 8, 2013 7:47 AM
  • It's best practice to use a 'clean' machine for your reference image (and even better practice to use a VM to build your reference image instead of physical hardware) then to use a machine that's been in 'field use' for a long time.  You never know what's been altered or changed on it from what you expect, so it puts you in a poor position of not knowing everything that's been done to what becomes your reference image.  Can become a support nightmare.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Monday, July 8, 2013 4:46 PM
    Answerer