Can't assign Team names to master project RRS feed

• Question

• I was just wondering if anyone can help me. I am trying to set up teams so I can assign a team to a task as I dont know which member of the team is going to be completing that task yet. I have set up the teams, I followed http://www.projectserverexperts.com/ProjectServerFAQKnowledgeBase/CreateTeamResource.aspx to create the teams and now I have 2 issues.

I assigned one team as 'Generic' as it said to do in the link and the Microsoft Porject Server 2010 Manual and it removed them as resources altogether so I unticked generic and they saved fine and I can see the teams when I click on resource centre and select group by teams.

Now teams are created I can not add them into the project. When I click build team or add reasources from Enterprise Pool I can not see the teams to add them. Can you add a team as a resource or am I completly on the wrong track?

Any help much appricated please :) Thanks!

Friday, January 27, 2012 7:31 AM

All replies

• NewMSProjectUser --

What you are describing is the likely consequence of changing permissions in the default Groups and Categories in Project Server 2010, because a Generic resource should not disappear the moment you create it.  So, what permissions have you changed from their default settings in either the Administrators group and My Organization category, or the Project Managers group and my Organization category?  Beyond this, have you set any Deny permissions in any security Groups in Project Server 2010?  Furthermore, open your own user account for editing and scroll down to the Groups section of the page.  If your user account is in any Groups other than the Administrators group, then remove yourself from those other Groups to see if this resolves the issue, potentially caused by setting a Deny permission in the other Groups.  Let us know and we will try to help.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Friday, January 27, 2012 2:12 PM
  • you should mark a User/Resource as a Team Lead for each team and assign tasks to that User/Resource. Team Names will not be appeared in Resource Pool.

in Team Details section of user page, there is a Check-box which is called Team Assignment Pool.

by selecting this check-box you specify the user as Team Lead.now other users on the team can see any tasks assigned to the Team Lead and self-assign them in PWA

----

« Accept Me as Me »

Friday, January 27, 2012 2:48 PM
  • Although the description above is perfectly acceptable, the article referred to in the original post makes use of a Generic 'Team" account so that you can be more specific with assignments.  If you do not use a generic team name then if I want to specifically assign to the person who also happens to be the Team Assignment Pool they (and their team) will not know if I assigned for anyone to do - or the specific person.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Friday, January 27, 2012 5:01 PM
  • Thanks a million for your help guys.

I checked and the 'Team assignment pool' box was already checked for each team resources.

In 'Security Gropus' in 'Manage Users' for administrators I had everything under security groups in the 'groups that assign this user' assigned to that user (i.e. For me as admin I also had project manager permissions, Team leads, team members ect) I have removed that now for me and the other admin ensurin we just have admin rights. I had assigned groups the same as my teams since teams wouldnt work so I removed them too under 'group fields' in the 'manage users section'.

I assigned the other admin as 'generic' in the 'edit resources' page and then when I went into 'Manage Users' in the 'server settings' page and the other Admin's name was gone. So when I assign a user as generic in the 'edit resources' page he dissappears from the 'Manage Users' page.

I was hoping that by creating 'Teams' if I had a team task or a task I that I didnt know yet who was going to be completing it I could assign the whole team and then the team could decide who was going to complete the task and resources could assign themselves or a few of the resources could complete the task and assign the hours they completed. Can I do that or am I on the wrong track?

I might also add I have not selected 'deny' on any permissions at all on anything so that is hopefully not the problem!

Any more advice much appricated!

Thanks in advance

Monday, January 30, 2012 1:13 AM