Deploying Config Mgr 2012 clients concern...Is Silverlight 4.0 a must? RRS feed

• Question

• We are looking to migrate to Config Mgr 2012 from 07. I have a question and concern about a pre-requisite for Config Mgr 2012. I've started testing in a virtual lab and noticed (reinforced with documentation), that the ccmsetup installs Silverlight 4.0, which I read is required. 

In our current environment across the board, we do not have Silverlight 4.0 distributed to most of our servers. My concern is that if SilverLight 4 is installed to servers, it could potentially "break" applications or interfere with certain processes conducted by our software development teams servers (like BizTalk, Web development servers..etc..etc..).

Is there a way to avoid installing SilverLight? If so, will lack of SilverLight 4.0 break some functionality in Config Mgr 2012 necessary interaction with clients?

If anyone believes installing Silverlight 4.0 is most likely harmless and haven't had any issues, I'd like to know.

Thanks,

Monday, May 14, 2012 12:33 AM

Answers

• You can install ConfigMgr client without Silverlight with the following command:

CCMSetup.exe /skipprereq: silverlight.exe

From: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg699356.aspx

Silverlight is required for Application Catalog, so you cannot use this feature without Silverlight.

I've installed Silverlight on servers and haven't found an issue, but your mileage may vary... :-)

Panu

• Proposed as answer by Anoop C NairMVP Monday, May 14, 2012 7:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Glenntech Monday, May 14, 2012 1:06 PM
    Monday, May 14, 2012 6:47 AM

All replies

• You can install ConfigMgr client without Silverlight with the following command:

CCMSetup.exe /skipprereq: silverlight.exe

From: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg699356.aspx

Silverlight is required for Application Catalog, so you cannot use this feature without Silverlight.

I've installed Silverlight on servers and haven't found an issue, but your mileage may vary... :-)

Panu

• Proposed as answer by Anoop C NairMVP Monday, May 14, 2012 7:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by Glenntech Monday, May 14, 2012 1:06 PM
    Monday, May 14, 2012 6:47 AM
  • Thanks Panu! I will consider that option!

Monday, May 14, 2012 1:07 PM