Default management pack last updated in 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

In my SCOM environment, I can see that the default management pack is last updated in 2012.

How does it get updated, do I have to manually do it.

Also How can I check its compatibility with OS 2012 R2 as I will be upgrading the OS of the SCOM servers to this version.

Thanks.

Friday, May 26, 2017 8:39 AM

Answers

• Hey,

It is actually a good thing that the default MP is not updated. It is against all best practices and recommendations to store things there.

Here a good explanation on everything around this particular topic. From:

System Center Service Manager / Operations Manager Management Pack and Naming Convention Best Practices

Section "SCOM":

• Do not store anything in the Default Management Pack
    • Consider renaming the default management pack to ‘DO NOT USE – Default Management Pack’

and

"For those of you that have heard the golden rule of not storing anything in the ‘Default management pack’, hopefully the above explanation provides insight into why this is the case.   It is even good practice to change the display name of ‘Default Management Pack’ to ‘DO NOT USE – Default Management Pack’ which adds an extra safeguard, making it less likely for users to store elements in the default management pack.  You can do this in the management pack properties and it won’t break anything as you are just changing a display name. "

Hope that helps you further. Regards

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Wednesday, May 31, 2017 9:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by TechnicalSeeker Thursday, June 15, 2017 4:42 AM
    Friday, May 26, 2017 9:42 AM
  • Hello,

You do not need to upgrade the default management pack when you upgrade the OS of the SCOM server. They do not matter. 

Regarding to upgrade OS of your management server, I suggest you refer to links below:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/manuelpuron/2016/03/06/scom-2012-r2-drp-or-upgrade-to-your-operating-system/

https://mwesterink.wordpress.com/2012/08/24/scom-2012-upgrading-a-management-server-os-from-windows-server-2008-r2-to-windows-server-2012-release-preview/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by TechnicalSeeker Thursday, June 15, 2017 4:41 AM
    Monday, May 29, 2017 7:46 AM

All replies

• Hey,

It is actually a good thing that the default MP is not updated. It is against all best practices and recommendations to store things there.

Here a good explanation on everything around this particular topic. From:

System Center Service Manager / Operations Manager Management Pack and Naming Convention Best Practices

Section "SCOM":

• Do not store anything in the Default Management Pack
    • Consider renaming the default management pack to ‘DO NOT USE – Default Management Pack’

and

"For those of you that have heard the golden rule of not storing anything in the ‘Default management pack’, hopefully the above explanation provides insight into why this is the case.   It is even good practice to change the display name of ‘Default Management Pack’ to ‘DO NOT USE – Default Management Pack’ which adds an extra safeguard, making it less likely for users to store elements in the default management pack.  You can do this in the management pack properties and it won’t break anything as you are just changing a display name. "

Hope that helps you further. Regards

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

• Marked as answer by TechnicalSeeker Thursday, June 15, 2017 4:42 AM
  • Hi,

An easy way is from the console, Administration, right click Management Pack, Import Management Pack, Add from catalog. In the View 'Update available for installed management packs'

But in general I never use the console. I always download the Management Pack (search for the Management Pack in Google/Bing). Often there is a Readme file included. Here you will find information about 'Supported Configurations', 'Before You Import the Management Pack', 'Prerequisits' etc.

My advise is to manually install Management Pack - remember to backup both OpsMgr databases before import :-)

Which Management Pack do you wish to update?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Hello,

You do not need to upgrade the default management pack when you upgrade the OS of the SCOM server. They do not matter. 

Regarding to upgrade OS of your management server, I suggest you refer to links below:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/manuelpuron/2016/03/06/scom-2012-r2-drp-or-upgrade-to-your-operating-system/

https://mwesterink.wordpress.com/2012/08/24/scom-2012-upgrading-a-management-server-os-from-windows-server-2008-r2-to-windows-server-2012-release-preview/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by TechnicalSeeker Thursday, June 15, 2017 4:41 AM
    Monday, May 29, 2017 7:46 AM