none
Just for Learning : DC made down & ADC is already UP. But DSA.MSC not working

Question

• Hi All,

Good evening. 

I am new into this server management and learning the various concepts practically through VM ware workstation. 

Recently on VMware workstation, I had installed 2 OS [2012], 1 is DC1 & other is DC2. On DC1 configured as for AD roles through server manager roles and features followed by promoting them to Domain controller. Then on DC2, ADC configured by selecting To add new domain in existing domain. 

Just for testing i made , DC1 down & I found that over DC2 , dsa.msc stopped working & even sites and services also 

Please help what manual steps i need to follow so that DC2 start working fine even when DC1 is down. 

• Edited by I_Bobby Wednesday, July 11, 2018 1:14 PM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 1:10 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

Till late night i am not even able to sleep just to find out which wrong option I have chose or what i left missing while configuring both DC & ADC. We all know that in Server 2012, using server manager is very easy. I chose options as per availability on books / tutorials.

Finally searching here and there , I found one link after searching for Keywords of error that i was receiving while DC is down and from ADC I was trying to open dsa.msc. After entering into DSA.msc in disconnected mode , it was showing error 

"naming information cannot be located because: The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted"

ERROR pic shared 

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ap8NEfDO5igOfDdEdqoCwsyXLyg

Finally , I got below reference URL

http://exchangeonline.in/windows-server-2012-naming-information-located-because-domain-exist-contacted/

the given solution in that worked

Go to Registry editor and open the key SysvolReady at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters

If the value of the key is 0 change it to 1. If the value is 1 change it to 0 and ‘Accept’, again change to 1 and accept. Exit registry editor.

But I want to know , where i missed while configuring dc and ADC. Because to work in  DSA.msc , while DC is offline , to find above solution , it took 3 days to me. 

• Edited by I_Bobby Friday, July 13, 2018 2:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by I_Bobby Sunday, July 29, 2018 10:58 AM
    Friday, July 13, 2018 2:00 AM

All replies

• I'd check the system event log for clues. Also check that both DCs have the static addresses of each domain controller listed for DNS on connection properties and no others such as router or public DNS

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 1:30 PM
  • Hi dear,

System event log is Showing Event id - 4015. Log name - DNS server  from ADC when i made DC down.

" The DNS server has encountered a critical error from the active directory. Check that active directory is functioning properly. The extended error debug information (which may be empty) is "". The event data contains the error"

IP given are static both on DC and ADC

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 3:18 PM
  • IP given are static both on DC and ADC

I'd still check that both DCs have the static addresses of each domain controller listed for DNS on connection properties and no others such as router or public DNS. dcdiag may also be helpful.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 3:20 PM
  • Hi IP given are

DC1 

IP - 192.168.1.101

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Primary dns: 192.168.1.101

Secondary dns 192.168.1.102

DC2 

IP - 192.168.1.102

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Primary dns: 192.168.1.101

Secondary dns 192.168.1.102

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 4:23 PM
  • you can run;
    Dcdiag /v /c /d /e /s:DCName >c:\dcdiag.log
    (please replace DCName with your domain controller's netbios name)
    repadmin /showrepl >C:\repl.txt
    then put files up on OneDrive and share a link.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 4:29 PM
  • Hi, given commands applied. Link is below..

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ap8NEfDO5igOc9bkxQtgZy1c1lI

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 5:29 PM
  • It looks like there's no network connectivity between the two.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 6:38 PM
  • Hi,

As said, i have made my Dc1 down, then applied the given command and shared log files with you. 

Only DC2 is up ... log files of which is shared with you. How do i made DC2 .. running fully functional when DC1 is down. DC2 works fine only when DC1 is up ..when DC1 made down then DC2 stopped workinng to open active directory users and computers

Thursday, July 12, 2018 2:58 AM
  • You'll want to get it all working and error free with both up as first step. Once you have them both up for an hour or so capture the logs again and put up the new files.

Thursday, July 12, 2018 3:05 AM
  • Fine, got your point. Sending your soon. Thanks

Thursday, July 12, 2018 7:03 AM
  • Uploaded , pl check

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ap8NEfDO5igOe8aHrnHzWI1yW-s

Thursday, July 12, 2018 10:07 AM

• Regards, Dave Patrick ....

Thursday, July 12, 2018 12:44 PM
  • Hi ,

Till late night i am not even able to sleep just to find out which wrong option I have chose or what i left missing while configuring both DC & ADC. We all know that in Server 2012, using server manager is very easy. I chose options as per availability on books / tutorials.

Finally searching here and there , I found one link after searching for Keywords of error that i was receiving while DC is down and from ADC I was trying to open dsa.msc. After entering into DSA.msc in disconnected mode , it was showing error 

"naming information cannot be located because: The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted"

ERROR pic shared 

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ap8NEfDO5igOfDdEdqoCwsyXLyg

Finally , I got below reference URL

http://exchangeonline.in/windows-server-2012-naming-information-located-because-domain-exist-contacted/

the given solution in that worked

Go to Registry editor and open the key SysvolReady at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters

If the value of the key is 0 change it to 1. If the value is 1 change it to 0 and ‘Accept’, again change to 1 and accept. Exit registry editor.

But I want to know , where i missed while configuring dc and ADC. Because to work in  DSA.msc , while DC is offline , to find above solution , it took 3 days to me. 

• Edited by I_Bobby Friday, July 13, 2018 2:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by I_Bobby Sunday, July 29, 2018 10:58 AM
    Friday, July 13, 2018 2:00 AM