none
How to run MDT 8443 network boot from bootable USB UEFI? RRS feed

• Question

• We have "Dell Optimized Deployment for MDT" that we access with a bootable usb drive.

It starts with a "Dell Optimized Deployment for MDT" screen, checks the bootstrap.ini prompts for credentials to connect with the deployment share runs a delluserexit.vbs which displays: "Preparing to launch lite touch interview", Envprep.cmd and a customized CompanyNameLTI.ps1 script. Finally the user chooses an image to deploy from a menu.

I want to run this for UEFI instead of legacy bios using a bootable usb drive. Unfortunately the boot drive were using won't boot when the PC is set to use UEFI only.

I've found some nice articles like: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2013/04/02/microsoft-deployment-toolkit-2012-update1-media-deployment-usb-drive-for-uefi-computer/

They walk you through using diskpart to set two partitions. One for fat32 and a second using ntfs.

then they copy boot files to the fat32 and copy the entire \media\content\deploy folder to the root of the ntfs drive.

I don't want to run offline, I'm trying to do a network boot and connect to the "Dell Optimized Deployment for MDT", like the other boot drive.

I'm thinking if I can run from a UEFI only bios setting and compatable usb  drive the existing task sequences once selected, will recognize that I'm booting into UEFI and so select the UEFI partitioning steps.

So far I've gotten as far as booting the usb and getting a generic Lifetouch screen and a prompt to provide the path to the deployment share.

I've been fighting this for a while, any suggestions about any part of this would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 8:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• The reason I can't just mount a litetouch.iso and copy it to the fat32 formatted usb drive is the updated boot.wim is over 7 gig which is over the fat32 file size limit.

I've tried adding the boot.wim to the second ntfs formatted usb partition but haven't figured out how to point the bootmgr to it.  Using BCDEDIT with the store on the usb drive doesn't seem to work very well.

Or I haven't figured out the syntax yet.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 8:26 PM
  • There is no reason to mess around with bcdedit as MDT creates a boot media capable of dealing with Legacy and UEFI systems. We had a discussion the other day related to USB drive formatting, so you may want to check this out: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ee2b21b6-6aa7-4653-8613-fce821be6c8c/issue-deploying-with-usb-media?forum=mdt#d5b1e840-ec9c-4efa-bd8f-3b600f5d80de

However, I am somewhat fuzzy why your updated boot.WIM is so big - the only reason I could think of is that you are including all drivers when generating your boot images. As a rule of thumb, you should only include WinPE drivers. Could you check if you are configuring your deployment share as outlined in the WinPE section of Johan's article? https://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

• Marked as answer by DavidBrianBest Wednesday, November 29, 2017 4:15 PM
    Tuesday, November 28, 2017 9:04 PM
  • Hi Anton,

Thanks for the reply.

You've given me something to work with.

The media's selection profile is set to "everything".

I'm going to set up a lab and experiment with creating new media with winPE drivers only.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 12:44 PM
  • If you are looking to simply use an USB stick to connect to your deployment share, then there is no need to generate an offline media. Simply take your LiteTouch.iso and put its contents onto your bootable USB drive. It still wouldn't heart to slim down WinPE driver overhead though. :)

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 3:10 PM
  • Skipped the lab testing, the boss got the LiteTouch.iso down to 418 mb.

My new usb drive will boot UEFI and works fine.

One note: The flash drive's partition can't be set to active.

Its formatted fs=fat32 and it works for UEFI boots.

But now it won't boot into legacy only bios setting.

I have a usb external hard drive that I formatted the same way and it can have its fat32 partition set to active and it can boot up into legacy only or UEFI only settings.

I'm thinking this is because the drives report themselves as fixed or removable.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 4:16 PM
  • If you need to build an offline media on a flash drive, use Rufus.

https://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/471/UEFI-and-NTFS-Friends-to-MDT-2013-at-last

Otherwise FAT32 formatted flash drive works perfectly fine for both UEFI and legacy. I use the same bootable flash drive all the time because all our systems are 64bit.

Daniel Vega

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 9:35 PM