Invalid Product Key RRS feed

• Question

• My laptop crashed and is totally junk. I used the Win XP Pro OS license to install on a new laptop that did not have an OS installed. Now Microsoft's (Un) Genuine (Dis) Advantage system is stating I have an invalid product key.  Duh? You would think a company like Microsoft would really know how to handle the activation and validation process better than it currently is. Does anyone know how to unload the Windows Genuine Validation Tool ? Leave it to Micorsoft to not allow it to be uninstalled via Control Panel - nor a direct support way to correct Microsoft's error. 
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 7:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

there is no way of uninstalling the genuine advantage tool. On top, it would be a better idea to have your pc compliant.

You state the license used is Windows XP Professional?

* if this is an OEM key (came with a new pc, is indicated on the sticker), it can only be used for its original system

* if this is a volume license key, contact your volume licensing partner

* if this is a retail key (bought in a nice box in a store), you have probably activated it already a few times. You should contact Microsoft Support and explain the situation (reminder: you should currently only have 1 machine with the license installed)

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP
    • Edited by SenneVL Sunday, November 6, 2011 10:32 AM
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 10:31 AM