WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server RRS feed

• Question

• Getting Event 7032 in my Application Event logs.

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API.

Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server....

System.Net.WebException -- The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.

or sometimes

System.Net.WebException -- The operation has timed out.

or sometimes

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException -- Cannot open database "SUSDB" requested by the login.  The login failed.  Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'

Server is Windows 2012 Essentials.

WSUS seems to start up fine.  Using the Windows Internal Database.  When I try to approve critical updates, the updates do not load, the WSUS service stops and I have to Reset Server Node.  Synchronizations seem to work fine.  When I do the Cleanup Wizard, I see the same craziness when Unused updates are checked.  Cleanup will complete if I do not clean Unused updates.

IIS is running.  WID service is running.  I do have KB3159706 installed and I did have an issue with that in the past but I followed the manual steps of that KB and that was successful.

What are other things that I can try?  Do I need to uninstall/reinstall?  If I reinstall, can I just install free SQL and pick up where I left off?  Not sure what to do.  Any recommended reading is appreciated as well.

Thanks.

Friday, January 6, 2017 8:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi bpiela,

Please check if you checked "Drivers" in "Classifications", it's not recommended to check it, since there may be a lot of updates about drivers and we need a few of them, when the disk space is not enough, it may cause WSUS console crash.

Besides, it's also recommended to reindex WSUS database if you haven't done it:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939795%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 9, 2017 8:17 AM
  • Ok. I did have Drivers checked, so I unchecked that. For the script, I had to download the Microsoft Command Line Utilities 13.1 for SQL Server and the Microsoft ODBC Driver 13.1 for SQL Server.  I cut and paste the script into a file and then ran the sqlcmd suggested when using the WID.  I got the following error when running the script:

Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server : Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [2]. .

Monday, January 9, 2017 3:22 PM
  • Hi bpiela,

>Ok. I did have Drivers checked, so I unchecked that.

After uncheck it, run Server Cleanup Wizard again.

>For the script....

To reindex WSUS database on Server 2012:

1.Download and install the following tools:

Microsoft Command Line Utilities 11 for SQL Server:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36433

ODBC driver 11 for SQL:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36434

2. In CMD, direct to SQLCMD.exe path using command:

cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Client SDK\ODBC\110\Tools\Binn

3. Cope the script and store it locally:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/6f8cde49-5c52-4abd-9820-f1d270ddea61#content

4. In CMD, run the following command:

SQLCMD -E -S np:\\.\pipe\MICROSOFT##WID\tsql\query -i <script location>

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by bpiela Thursday, January 12, 2017 2:43 AM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 1:49 AM
  • Thanks. Missed that comment about the changed path.

So, I reran the Server Cleanup Wizard and it died at "Deleting unused updates".  Had to do the ol' Reset Server Node, which seems to restart the service.

I uninstalled the later versions of the Command Line Utilities for SQL Server and the ODBC driver and installed the versions you have listed.  I ran the script using the command line you listed above and got the following output:

C:\TEMP>sqlcmd -E -S np:\\.\pipe\MICROSOFT##WID\tsql\query -i C:\TEMP\WsusDBMain
    tenance.sql
    Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Server BENMARSERVER\MICROSOFT##WID, Line 11
    Incorrect syntax near 'GO'.
    Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Server BENMARSERVER\MICROSOFT##WID, Line 120
    Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Server BENMARSERVER\MICROSOFT##WID, Line 127

Those three lines contain the statement "GO" only.  Does the GO command require any other syntax?
    • Edited by bpiela Tuesday, January 10, 2017 2:24 AM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 2:21 AM
  • I looked up my error and found something suggesting that maybe there were some hidden characters. I opened the script in Notepad and noticed that each line ended in a space. I manually removed all of the spaces at the end of each line in the script and reran the sqlcmd command. It completed successfully.

Statistics for all tables have been updated.
    Done updating statistics.2017-01-11 21:26:54.690

I am now able to approve updates!  Thanks! 

Now, it seems like I am not doing a good job of maintaining WSUS.  Any recommendations moving forward?   any recommended reading?

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, January 12, 2017 2:37 AM
  • Hi bpiela,

>Now, it seems like I am not doing a good job of maintaining WSUS.

It's recommended to run reindex WSUS database script and run Server Cleanup Wizard frequently, may be once a month or more.

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, January 12, 2017 5:21 AM