none
Hardware snapshot providers-questions RRS feed

• Question

• 1.Does DPM  2010 server required connection to SAN  for the hardware vss snapshot?

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:19 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I am assuming that you are referring to Hyper-V protection where we recommend using a VSS hardware provider ?    No – DPM does not need access to the SAN, the protected server itself has the hardware provider installed and will use that provider when a guest backup is requested.  The PS will mount the hardware snapshot locally and DPM will copy changed data from the snapshot over the network, then release the snapshot.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:30 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

My scenario as follows.

I have one DPM server and storage pool is internal scsi hard disk.

2. I am taking backup of 30 machine using  Hyper-V machines in dpm2010 with c-location enabled but no vss hardware provided.

As per your statement I understand that,   install HW VSS only  on the hyper-v clusters nodes and not on the dpm server. is that correct?

is there any proper document for to enable to hw vss for san and nodes?

We are using HP eva 6000 and I think an additional license is required to enable the  HW VSS @the SAN?

Thursday, August 11, 2011 5:06 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, you understood correctly - and here is the link to the tested hardware providers: http://blogs.technet.com/dpm/archive/2010/02/05/tested-hardware-vss-provider-table.aspx

The v6.05 on the following HP site is the latest VSS HW Provider on the HP site. 

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=499901&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=499896&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4065

Version v6.05 will work and will not need a retest of the provider based on the fixes/enhancement that is published on the website.

To support snapshots you will need Business copy license that enables hardware snapshots to be taken on the SAN.

Please review this blog for benefits of having a hardware provider: http://blogs.technet.com/b/asim_mitra/archive/2009/12/11/snapshot-provider-considerations-while-backing-up-a-csv-cluster.aspx

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 5:21 AM
  • Hello Mike

Thanks again.

few more doubts...

1.if we enable the HW vss snapshot again the backup will be be taken  on network beacuse my dpm server don't have any connectivity to the San. is that  correct?

also  let me know if there is  proper doc to enable the hp san HW and  enabling and configuration on cluster nodes .

2.if i want use san based recovery then what's is the solution?

Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:25 AM
  • Hi,

All backups are performed using the LAN, even if you have both the DPM storage pool and the cluster shared volmes on the same san.

The hardware provider install is very straight forward, and nothing special needs to be done on the nodes, DPM will see the hardware provider and use it by defaut.  All the configuartion / licensing is done on the SAN, and I don't have delails for that - you will need to call HP.

SAN based recoveries can be performed if you have both the CSV and DPM storage pool disks on the same SAN.  See the following links for more details.

How to use SAN Based Recovery in System Center Data Protection Manager 2010
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2011/06/01/how-to-use-san-based-recovery-in-system-center-data-protection-manager-2010.aspx

How to use SAN recovery option and mapping data source volumes to Windows disks
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2011/01/05/how-to-use-san-recovery-option-and-mapping-data-source-volumes-to-windows-disks.aspx

Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:42 PM
  • Hello Mike,

Thanks for valuable inputs

At last two more questions, suppose if i have 50-100 machines in a  two node cluster,Is it okay to run with software vss provider or hardware vss preferred?

During backup with software vss, then how many vm backup's are taking at a time?

Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:43 PM
  • Hi,

Hardware provider is always perfered, but if you use software provider you need to enable serialization.

With buitin VSS software provider, maxumum simultanious backups is 1 per node. (assuming you have 2 or more csv volumes)
    With VSS hardware provider installed and licensed, maximum simultanious backups is 3 per node.

Without a VSS hardware provider, you need to enable DPM Serialization using the following steps.

Considerations for Backing Up Virtual Machines on CSV with the System VSS Provider
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634192.aspx

Basic steps for protecting a single Hyper-V Cluster with DPM 2010.

1. Copy the DSConfig.ps1 file to any one node of a CSV cluster in C:\MyFolder.
    2. Run this script in an elevated Windows PowerShell Window same folder: 

Example in windows power-shell command window:

PS Import-Module failoverclusters
        PS C:\>CD C:\MyFolder\>DSConfig.ps1
        PS C:\>DSConfig.ps1

3. This script will generate the DataSourceGroups.xml file in the current path.  You can verify the groupings by opening the XML file that is generated.
    4. After this file is created, copy it to the %programfiles%\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Config directory on the DPM server.
           NOTE: IF you have more than one Hyper-V CLUSTER that DPM is protecting, you need to merge the DataSourceGroups.xml files together from each Cluster – see details in the technet article.
    5. Copy / paste below into notepad, then save as MaxAllowedParallelBackups.cmd on the DPM server, then right-click and select merge.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\2.0\Configuration\MaxAllowedParallelBackups]
    "Microsoft Hyper-V"=dword:00000001

ALSO – it’s very important that you configure the cluster network properly – please follow this article:

2473194-DPM 2010 Hyper-V protection Configuring cluster networks for CSV redirected access
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;2473194

Thursday, August 11, 2011 10:44 PM
  • Hello  Mike,

we don't have the hardware license at the moment ,so only way is use the softwar vss.

can you please explain benefit  of serialization. I could see that  above reg key on dpm server  and when i changed the value to 3, its showing 3 vm backups at a time.

is it the correct way of doing it?

Monday, August 15, 2011 5:05 AM
  • Hi,

Backups will fail without serialization if guests are residing on the same CSV but running on different hosts are backuped up at the same time.  If you have seperate CSV's for each guest, then serialization is not necessary.

Monday, August 15, 2011 3:17 PM
  • Hello Mike,

my questions are.

1. if i do serialization ,what's the exactly the benefit ?

2.in my case, I have two csv's  and 50 vm's distributed across the same .as per you only one vm per node on cluster will  be backed up at a time .is  that correct?

3. is the mentioned reg key is installed  by default as part of dpm installation by any chance?

In my env, i have started with default dpm installation but don't remember whether i have created the mentioned reg key but modified the reg key value 1 to 3 and it shows 3 simultaneous backup at a time for cluster and it's not failing at all!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 10:17 AM
  • Hi,

1)  To help with reliability of backups when no VSS hardware provider is installed

2)  If you have Serialization configured, yes.

3) Yes, but the value is set to 3 by default.

4) There is "some" retry logic under the covers, but if you start getting failed jobs due to error 0x8007173D Back up is in progress...  you will need to enable serialization to avoid the errors.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:14 PM
  • Hello Mike,

Thanks!

1. I understand that by by default 3 is the value and will allow to take backup 3 vms' at a time on the cluster?

2.if we enable serialization then change the value to 1 and configure the other settings, so at this time only one vm from one node on the cluster?

3. only enable the serialization if we are getting 0x8007173D Back up is in progress error other wise continue with default ie 3 vm at time?

4.for hyper-v cluster backup ,standard  or enterprise license required?

5. suppose if I want move the data to offsite, what are the cheapest methods?

6. is it possible to 1.5 tb data to secondary server through wan? if so what's the dedicated bandwidth required?

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:49 AM
  •  

Q1. I understand that by by default 3 is the value and will allow to take backup 3 vms' at a time on the cluster?
    A1.  yes, the default is three because not all customer use a cluster, so we want to be able to backup 3 at a time.

Q2.if we enable serialization then change the value to 1 and configure the other settings, so at this time only one vm from one node on the cluster?
    A2.  Yes.

Q3. only enable the serialization if we are getting 0x8007173D Back up is in progress error other wise continue with default ie 3 vm at time?
    A3.  Sure

Q4.for hyper-v cluster backup ,standard  or enterprise license required?
    A4.  System Center Data Protection Manager 2010 Server ML Enterprise license is required for Hyper-V protection.

Q5. suppose if I want move the data to offsite, what are the cheapest methods?
    A5.  Either add a tape library to DPM server and take tapes offsite, or install Secondary DPM Server at remote location.

Q6. is it possible to 1.5 tb data to secondary server through wan? if so what's the dedicated bandwidth required?
    A5.  Given enough time, it's possible. If you are protecting data over a wide area network (WAN), there is a minimum network bandwidth requirement of 512 kilobits per second (Kbps).

See below links.

Network requirements
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399051.aspx

Improving Usage of WAN Latency
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634236.aspx

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 3:31 PM
  •  

Regarding my q6:>in your opinion how much bandwidth/time is required to transfer  1.5 tb data to remote site ? 

1.if we can increase co-located data rep volume size from 250 gb to 1000 gb if possible by editing registry?

2.other than tape backup , can we move the data to a normal server from their backup to different server ?

3.hidden dpm  rep volumes can mapped as drive  on the same dpm server?

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:18 PM
  • Hi

Last Round of questions - please open new thread for any additional questions.

q6:>in your opinion how much bandwidth/time is required to transfer  1.5 tb data to remote site ? 
    A6: There are way too many variables to contend with, you will need set it up and see if it's acceptable solution.

Q1.if we can increase co-located data rep volume size from 250 gb to 1000 gb if possible by editing registry?
     A1.  Yes - The default Hyper-V Co-located replica volume that DPM creates by default is 250GB meaning we will co-locate as many Hyper-V  guests that fit on that 250GB volume up to 8 before we create another 250GB volume.

Depending on your average Hyper-V guest, you can modify that registry key so you can take better advantage of the co-location feature.

Key name: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Collocation\HyperV
      Valuename= CollocatedReplicaSize and should be a multiple of 1GB  (1073741824 bytes)

Q2.other than tape backup , can we move the data to a normal server from their backup to different server ?
    A2. If you don't want to use DPM D-D-T solution and instead want to utilize a 3rd party backup product for offsite - Using 3rd party to backup a DPM server is basically the same as described here  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc161620.aspx – except the DPM 2007 and DPM 2010 path is now C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\...

However, restores of protected data will need to be performed to an alternate location (Not back to the DPM server) by the 3rd party application.

DPM 2010 content about the same: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb809019.aspx

Q3.hidden dpm  rep volumes can mapped as drive  on the same dpm server?
    A3.  Not recommended, if you want access to replica volume it's better to use dpmbackup -replica to make snapshots, then access the snapshots via the c:\program files\microsoft dpm\dpm\volume\shadowcopy folder - you can assign drive letters there.

Please mark this thread as answered.

• Marked as answer by IT2012 Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:36 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by IT2012 Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:11 PM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:37 PM
  • Hello Mark.

Thanks for valuable inputs. appreciated!

• Marked as answer by IT2012 Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:13 PM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:13 PM
  • Hello Mark.

Thanks for valuable inputs. appreciated!

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:13 PM