WSUS Automatic Approvals RRS feed

• Question

• There are a huge amount of FeatureOnDemand updates each month.

I understand these are new, and from what I understand; I can approve these all I want and they will not actually be installed on client PCs / server; it will just make the feature available to them if they chose to add via add/remove programs. Is this correct? 

If so; I would like to automate the approval of these each month. If I am navigating the Auto Approval rules, can I just create one that auto approves the 'Classification' of 'Feature Packs'? Or is Feature packs something else?

Also; In regards to approvals; when I managed WSUS a while back we had a small test environment where we would deploy all patches and if nothing broke; approve them for production. We do not have that luxury here at this time. 

Are there any good resources to review common issues with monthly updates? I mean has anyone found a good go-to forum or site where other IT admins post possible issues with recent release patches? Just curious.
    Tuesday, April 11, 2017 5:08 PM

Answers

• Everything I have read about the Windows 10 Feature On Demand indicates it is just an optional feature to install. So, when we approve in WSUS; it does not push out or install the feature on the computers, it only makes it available to Windows 10 computers. This way, if a user wants a feature, they can chose in add remove programs, add windows feature, and select a feature. Then the feature will download from WSUS server and install on their PC. 

I just need someone to clarify this before I set the automatic approval on it. Can  anyone else confirm?

Correct.

FoD is exactly that. If your computers are serviced by WSUS and are locked-down to *only* WSUS, if you don't download and approve the FoD, your computers cannot obtain FoD content. Approving Win10 FoD in WSUS will not deploy Win10 FoD to client computers via auto-install methods, the end-user at the client computer must manually attempt to add the Feature. This is the same logic as applies to LanguagePacks via WSUS, they can't be "pushed", the end-user must trigger by attempting to add the feature/component.

The Classification "Feature Packs" is a totally different thing.

[Win10 FoD is a "Product", not a "Classification"]

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Marked as answer by commdudeaf Saturday, April 15, 2017 1:25 PM
    Saturday, April 15, 2017 12:37 AM

All replies

• Hi commdudeaf,

> I can approve these all I want and they will not actually be installed on client PCs / server

As far as I know, "Feature on Demand" updates' behavior on clients are the same with other updates, we can schedule the installation time with GPO settings;

>If I am navigating the Auto Approval rules, can I just create one that auto approves the 'Classification' of 'Feature Packs'? Or is Feature packs something else?

If you want to set automatic approval rules for update of "Feature on demand", we may check "When an update is in a specific product", and select "Windows 10 Feature On Demand".

>Are there any good resources to review common issues with monthly updates? 

As far as I know, there seems no such official community to collect the issues.
    Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 9:07 AM
  • the PM list is very good

http://marc.info/?l=patchmanagement

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 9:38 AM
  • Thanks Anne, 

Everything I have read about the Windows 10 Feature On Demand indicates it is just an optional feature to install. So, when we approve in WSUS; it does not push out or install the feature on the computers, it only makes it available to Windows 10 computers. This way, if a user wants a feature, they can chose in add remove programs, add windows feature, and select a feature. Then the feature will download from WSUS server and install on their PC. 

I just need someone to clarify this before I set the automatic approval on it. Can  anyone else confirm?

Friday, April 14, 2017 4:00 PM
  • Everything I have read about the Windows 10 Feature On Demand indicates it is just an optional feature to install. So, when we approve in WSUS; it does not push out or install the feature on the computers, it only makes it available to Windows 10 computers. This way, if a user wants a feature, they can chose in add remove programs, add windows feature, and select a feature. Then the feature will download from WSUS server and install on their PC. 

Correct.

FoD is exactly that. If your computers are serviced by WSUS and are locked-down to *only* WSUS, if you don't download and approve the FoD, your computers cannot obtain FoD content. Approving Win10 FoD in WSUS will not deploy Win10 FoD to client computers via auto-install methods, the end-user at the client computer must manually attempt to add the Feature. This is the same logic as applies to LanguagePacks via WSUS, they can't be "pushed", the end-user must trigger by attempting to add the feature/component.

The Classification "Feature Packs" is a totally different thing.

[Win10 FoD is a "Product", not a "Classification"]

• Marked as answer by commdudeaf Saturday, April 15, 2017 1:25 PM
    Saturday, April 15, 2017 12:37 AM
  • Perfect, thanks for clarification Don.  
    Saturday, April 15, 2017 1:25 PM