none
Staging offsite new Windows Server R2 Essentials RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new client with one server running Windows SBS 2011and 5 computers that log into it.  The server is in a very unstable state throwing tons of errors at every angle, so the office has chosen to buy a new server running Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials. 

My question is – can I setup the new server offsite and domain then when I get to the office completely back up the old server, create new local accounts on the client computers and copy the data (My Documents, Favorites, Desktop Files and etc.) over to the new local account, shutdown the old server, bring up and copy all the data to the new server, and then have the new client local accounts join the new domain?  Since this is such a small new domain, does Windows Server 2012 R2 Essential require a DHCP and DNS server or can the SonicWall handle that?

Monday, September 28, 2015 5:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The server provides DHCP and DNS service. It is certainly that you can setup your new server and domain and copy files from the old one to the new server. SonicWall is the 3rd party software which is not managed by Microsoft. I suggest you contact the vendor to know more information about SonicWall due to we are not familiar with it.

Best Regards

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 1:05 AM