Fresh installation of Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 and 2012 not getting updates from 2012 R2 WSUS RRS feed

• Question

• I have a lab setup which runs a 2012 R2 WSUS VM. Server 2008 R2 SP1 and 2012 VMs are not able to get updates from the WSUS, but able to get updates from Windows Update. All other VMs (2003 SP2, 2008 SP2, 2012 R2, 2016, Windows 7 SP1, 8.1 & 10 2016 LTSB) are able to update with no issues. I tried with multiple fresh installs and still no luck. Issue happens with 2008 R2 and 2012 VMs only, other VMs are still working correctly.

I am getting 8024401c and 0x80072ee2 errors at different times (After trying some possible fix). Went through countless posts and tried all the possible solutions but none worked.

Tried,

Changing MTU for the interface on both WSUS server and clients.

Ensuring there is no proxy configured

Changing IE connection settings.

Deleting / renaming Software distribution. Start / stop services.

Updating Windows update agent.

Running diagnostic cab.

Changing IIS App Pool settings

and lot more

Please help, Thanks in advance

• Edited by Nidhin_p Friday, April 21, 2017 4:15 PM
    Friday, April 21, 2017 4:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Nidhin_p,

1. Please check the AU settings on the affected machines, HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\AU, check if the WSUS URL is correct and is the UseWUServer is "1", NoAutoUpdate is "0";

2. After checking the AU settings, please check the network connection between the affected clients and the WSUS server, ping the WSUS server and telnet the port 8530;

3. On the WSUS server, please run Server Cleanup Wizard and re-index WSUS database:

Reindex WSUS database on Server 2012R2:

On WSUS 2012 R2, we may use the following method to reindex WSUS database:

1).Download and install the following tools:

Microsoft Command Line Utilities 11 for SQL Server:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36433

ODBC driver 11 for SQL:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36434

2). In CMD, direct to SQLCMD.exe path using command:

cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Client SDK\ODBC\110\Tools\Binn

3). Cope the script and store it locally:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/6f8cde49-5c52-4abd-9820-f1d270ddea61#content

4). In CMD, run the following command:

SQLCMD -E -S np:\\.\pipe\MICROSOFT##WID\tsql\query -i <script location>

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 24, 2017 6:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Nidhin_p,

1. Please check the AU settings on the affected machines, HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\AU, check if the WSUS URL is correct and is the UseWUServer is "1", NoAutoUpdate is "0";

2. After checking the AU settings, please check the network connection between the affected clients and the WSUS server, ping the WSUS server and telnet the port 8530;

3. On the WSUS server, please run Server Cleanup Wizard and re-index WSUS database:

Reindex WSUS database on Server 2012R2:

On WSUS 2012 R2, we may use the following method to reindex WSUS database:

1).Download and install the following tools:

Microsoft Command Line Utilities 11 for SQL Server:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36433

ODBC driver 11 for SQL:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36434

2). In CMD, direct to SQLCMD.exe path using command:

cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Client SDK\ODBC\110\Tools\Binn

3). Cope the script and store it locally:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/6f8cde49-5c52-4abd-9820-f1d270ddea61#content

4). In CMD, run the following command:

SQLCMD -E -S np:\\.\pipe\MICROSOFT##WID\tsql\query -i <script location>

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 24, 2017 6:07 AM
  • Hi Nidhin_p,

Just to check if the above reply could be of help? If yes, you may mark useful reply as answer, if not, welcome to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 6:58 AM
  • Finally I managed to update server 2012 once, but again back to same situation. I was able to install 156 updates at once for Server 2012. Server 2008 R2 no luck.

@Anne I have run the reindexing script, let me check and will update you once done.

Thanks & Regards,

Nidhin

• Edited by Nidhin_p Thursday, May 11, 2017 5:55 PM
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 12:06 PM
  • Not positive that my script will help, but it's known (in the Spiceworks Community) to fix all sorts of weird unexplainable issues.

Have a peek at my Adamj Clean-WSUS script. It is the last WSUS Script you will ever need.

http://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/2998-adamj-clean-wsus

What it does:

1. Remove all Drivers from the WSUS Database.
    2. Shrink your WSUSContent folder's size by declining superseded updates.
    3. Remove declined updates from the WSUS Database.
    4. Clean out all the synchronization logs that have built up over time (configurable, with the default keeping the last 14 days of logs).
    5. Compress Update Revisions.
    6. Remove Obsolete Updates.
    7. Computer Object Cleanup (configurable, with the default of deleting computer objects that have not synced within 30 days).
    8. Application Pool Memory Configuration to display the current private memory limit and easily increase it by any configurable amount.
    9. Run the Recommended SQL database Maintenance script on the actual SQL database.
    10. Run the Server Cleanup Wizard.

It will email the report out to you or save it to a file, or both.

Although the script is lengthy, it has been made to be super easy to setup and use. There are some prerequisites and instructions at the top of the script. After installing the prerequisites and configuring the variables for your environment, simply run:

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -FirstRun

and then

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -InstallTask

If you wish to view or increase the Application Pool Memory Configuration, you must run it with the required switch. See Get-Help .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -Examples

If you're having trouble, there's also a -HelpMe option that will create a log so you can send it to me for support.

• Edited by AJTek.caMVP Saturday, May 13, 2017 3:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nidhin_p Tuesday, June 13, 2017 1:22 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Nidhin_p Tuesday, June 13, 2017 1:22 PM
    Saturday, May 13, 2017 3:55 AM
  • Finally I managed to update server 2012 once, but again back to same situation. I was able to install 156 updates at once for Server 2012. Server 2008 R2 no luck.

@Anne I have run the reindexing script, let me check and will update you once done.

Thanks & Regards,

Nidhin

Hi Nidhin_p,

Just to check if get any progress with the issue?

Best Regards,

Anne

Monday, May 15, 2017 5:52 AM
  • Hi Anne,

Your solution worked! I managed to update both Server 2008 R2 and Server 2012. Thank you very much :)

Regards,

Nidhin

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 1:22 PM