Exchange 2013: Inbox rules don't work on Journal Mailbox RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've Exchange 2013 server with 2 databases:
    * First database has all user mailboxes & is journaled to second database
    * Second database has only 1 mailbox: Journal which collects all messages send / received  from / to first database.

I made Inbox Rules on Journal Mailbox  to delete unnecessary messages e.g. :
    * HealthMailbox messages with Subject: Client submission probe
    * inboundproxy@contoso.com messages with Subject: Inbound proxy probe.

I noticed that these rules don't work. Why ?

best regards Janusz Such

Monday, March 2, 2015 11:22 AM

Answers

All replies

• Why would you expect it to work?  Journaling is not the same as regular mail flow.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Monday, March 2, 2015 5:53 PM
  • Hello

tip: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2823959

sorry my english

Monday, March 2, 2015 8:52 PM
  • Hi,

How do you create these Inbox Rules on journal Mailbox? Please share the detailed rule content here and we can check whether the rule was created correctly or not.

Instead of journaling all mailboxes residing on a mailbox database, I suggest we can configure journal rules to match your organization's needs by journaling individual recipients or members of distribution groups. For more information about journal rules, please refer to:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj651670%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Regards,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 8:55 AM
  • Ed,

you didn't understand my configuration & question.

best regards Janusz Such

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 9:08 AM
  • Hello,

I logged on my computer as switched user & connected by Outlook 2007 to Journal mailbox
    [ of course not in cache mode :) ].

Then I can run my Inbox Rules and see the effects:
    I reported that Rules with filters: "Received From:" doesn't work on Journal mailbox
    [ it seems that Journal receives e-mails from Exchange on behalf users ].
    Rules with filters: "Search string pattern in Subject / Subject & Text" works correctly.

Please mark this thread as resolved.

Thank you all for your answers !
    [ I learn German language now, and therefore I tend to begin Nouns from capital letter :) ]

best regards Janusz Such

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 9:30 AM
  • Hello,

I logged on my computer as switched user & connected by Outlook 2007 to Journal mailbox
    [ of course not in cache mode :) ].

Then I can run my Inbox Rules and see the effects:
    I reported that Rules with filters: "Received From:" doesn't work on Journal mailbox
    [ it seems that Journal receives e-mails from Exchange on behalf users ].

Hi,

Personal suggestion, we can open the message 2which was send from the HealthMailbox, click File > Properties to check From in the message header. Then we can create the Inbox rule based on the message Header to have a try.

Regards,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 2:28 AM