none
Migration of HIS 2000 to HIS 2009 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We are going to upgrade the HIS server from 2000 sp5 to HIS 2009. However, we cannot find the correct path for the progress. Most appreciated if anyone can provide a guide for the progress. Or any web site referring to this issue?

The server OS is Win 2K3 Enterprise x86.

Since we are new to HIS, we hope to get more information on upgrading and administering HIS 2009. Is there any web site for the purpose?

• Edited by ckmalice Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:46 AM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:37 AM

Answers

• You can have different versions of Hin in an environment.

You can either install HIS 2009 in a new HIS Subdomain (logical grouping of HIS Servers that will share configuration) or you can install a newer versions as backup HIS Servers into the existing HIS Subdomain.

Please note that I have not tried adding a HIS 2009 Server to a HIS 2000 Subdomain so I'm not sure how well that works. I recently workjed in an environment where we added HIS 2009 Servers to an existing HIS 2006 Subdomain.

If you will be staying on the same hardware platform, you can do direct in-place upgrades from HIS 2000 Service Pack 2 to HIS 2009. This is a upgrade scenario that we tested prior to releasing HIS 2009. If you want to do the direct upgrade on the HIS 2000 system, all you need to do is run the HIS 2009 setup.exe to start the installation. It will detect the HIS 2000 install and will indicate that it will remove HIS 2000 and install HIS 2009. It will retain the configuration from HIS 2000 so you shouldn't need to make any additional changes. The disclaimer is that I have not tested this scenario myself.

If you do this direct upgrade, make a copy of the existing HIS 2000 configuration file (%SNAROOT%\config\com.cfg) to make sure you have a copy if something goes wrong. You should also do this on the backup HIS 2000 Server (not the Primary HIS 2000 Server). After HIS 2009 is running on the backup HIS 2000 Server, use SNA Manager on the Primary HIS 2000 Server to manage the servers. Don't make and save any configuration changes in SNA Manager on the HIS 2009 Server because that will update the version of the configuration file to the HIS 2009 version that the HIS 2000 Server may be unable to open and read.

Once you are satified that things work OK, you can then do the same upgrade on the Primary HIS 2000 Server.

I wouldn't recommend upgrading to HIS 2006 at this point as it just entered the Extended Support phase of its lifecycle so we will no longer create new hotfixes for issues that are identified as new bugs.

Hope this helps.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

• Marked as answer by ckmalice Monday, April 16, 2012 3:25 AM
    Friday, April 13, 2012 6:44 PM

All replies

• In most cases, upgrading HIS is fairly straightforward. However, it does depend on the HIS features that are being used and the link services (802.2 DLC, SDLC, etc.) that are being used for the connections to the IBM host systems.

In general, the process is as follows if you are going to be installing on new hardware using the same Server Name:

- Save the HIS configuration file (%SNAROOT%\config\com.cfg) from the existing HIS Server.
    - Note the link services and their configuration properties that are install on the existing HIS Servers.
    - Install HIS on the new system.
    - Install the link services (assuming that you will be using the same type of link services) to match the ones that were installed on the previous HIS Servers.
    - Copy the saved COM.CFG file into the %SNAROOT%\config folder on the new server.

If the new servers will have new Server Names, then you need to take an additional step to change the server name in the HIS configuration before copying it into place on the new server.

The following KB Article explains this proces as well:

179017 How to migrate an existing SNA Server configuration or Host Integration Server configuration to a new hardware platform
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;179017

As I indicated, this is a simple case. In many instances, there will be a few more steps involved depending on the specific HIS environment that is being upgraded.

We work with many customers on HIS upgrades/migrations via support cases to help manage the process to help minimize or prevent possible problems that can occur. You might want to consider this option as well if you are not well versed with HIS.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:50 PM
  • Thanks Stephen.

Here I would like to expand my case. Most appreciated if you can help suggest the best way for the upgrade approach.

For the existing setting, we have 2 sites. Each site have 2 HIS 2000 server using 802.2 DLC, TN3270 clients. As announced by MS, the support of HIS 2000 is ended. Therefore, we would like to upgrade these servers with HIS 2006/2009.

On this stage, we would like to have a pliot upgrade of such servers, i.e. upgrade 1 of the server as 2009, convert clients to connect to new 2009 servers and some remain unchanged. Afterwards, if the case is okay, we will convert all clients and connect to HIS 2009 and upgrade another one.

Therefore, we would like to find out the following, but unfortunately no any result...

1. Is that possible for the SNA having 2 versions of HIS servers co-exists in the network, i.e. 1 HIS 2000 and 1 HIS 2009 co-exists in the environment?
    2. After upgrading HIS 2000 to HIS 2009, is there any re-configuration or new settings required?

Friday, April 13, 2012 9:09 AM
  • You can have different versions of Hin in an environment.

You can either install HIS 2009 in a new HIS Subdomain (logical grouping of HIS Servers that will share configuration) or you can install a newer versions as backup HIS Servers into the existing HIS Subdomain.

Please note that I have not tried adding a HIS 2009 Server to a HIS 2000 Subdomain so I'm not sure how well that works. I recently workjed in an environment where we added HIS 2009 Servers to an existing HIS 2006 Subdomain.

If you will be staying on the same hardware platform, you can do direct in-place upgrades from HIS 2000 Service Pack 2 to HIS 2009. This is a upgrade scenario that we tested prior to releasing HIS 2009. If you want to do the direct upgrade on the HIS 2000 system, all you need to do is run the HIS 2009 setup.exe to start the installation. It will detect the HIS 2000 install and will indicate that it will remove HIS 2000 and install HIS 2009. It will retain the configuration from HIS 2000 so you shouldn't need to make any additional changes. The disclaimer is that I have not tested this scenario myself.

If you do this direct upgrade, make a copy of the existing HIS 2000 configuration file (%SNAROOT%\config\com.cfg) to make sure you have a copy if something goes wrong. You should also do this on the backup HIS 2000 Server (not the Primary HIS 2000 Server). After HIS 2009 is running on the backup HIS 2000 Server, use SNA Manager on the Primary HIS 2000 Server to manage the servers. Don't make and save any configuration changes in SNA Manager on the HIS 2009 Server because that will update the version of the configuration file to the HIS 2009 version that the HIS 2000 Server may be unable to open and read.

Once you are satified that things work OK, you can then do the same upgrade on the Primary HIS 2000 Server.

I wouldn't recommend upgrading to HIS 2006 at this point as it just entered the Extended Support phase of its lifecycle so we will no longer create new hotfixes for issues that are identified as new bugs.

Hope this helps.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

• Marked as answer by ckmalice Monday, April 16, 2012 3:25 AM
    Friday, April 13, 2012 6:44 PM
  • Thanks Stephen. Your reply provided a clear direction to our goal!!!

As your said, HIS 2000 and 2009 can be existed concurrently in the environment. Should we manage those items in SNA manager from HIS 2000 or HIS 2009?

As availability of direct upgrade from HIS 2000 SP2 to HIS 2009, is that also possible on HIS 2000 sp1 to HIS 2009 (as we found the current version of HIS 2000 is SP1). If not, should we upgrade the HIS 2000 SP1 to SP2 and to HIS 2009?

For the version of HIS, I agreed that HIS 2009 should be better because of support issues.

Monday, April 16, 2012 2:24 AM
  • If you have mixed versions of HIS in the same HIS Subdomain, you need to manage the servers from SNA Manager on the older HIS version. In your case, if you have HIS 2000 and HIS 2009 servers in the same HIS subdomain the servers should be mnaged by running SNA Manager on a HIS 2000 Server.

In addition, the primary HIS Server must be the last HIS Server upgraded.

The test upgrade path was fron HIS 2000 SP2 to HIS 2009 as HIS 2000 SP2 was the latest release for HIS 2000. We did not test upgrading from HIS 2000 SP1 to HIS 2009 so I can't speak to if this will work OK. I suspect it will work OK, but I can't say for sure. If possible, you might want to apply HIS 2000 SP2 first unless you can test the upgrade (on a test server) from HIS 2000 SP1 to HIS 2009 to see if it appears to work OK.

The download link for HIS 2000 SP2 is http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=22893.

Also note that after upgrading to HIS 2009, you should apply HIS 2009 Cumulative Update 2 (CU2) to get the latest released updates for HIS 2009.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Monday, April 16, 2012 1:36 PM
  • Thanks Stephen.

I have a trial to update the HIS 2000 to HIS 2009 in our test environment. Firstly I found the following error

HIS Integration Server, ERROR #0352

----------------------------------------------------

Unable to open the configuration file, rc=618

Is there common from upgrading the HIS 2000 to HIS 2009? It is solved after applying the cummulative updates. Is there any extra configuration?

On the other hand, when viewing the server properties in HIS 2009, we can find the change button at the bottom of the property dialog, but it is disappeared in the HIS 2009. How can we change the server role in HIS 2009? Or it is because there is a HIS 2000?

Also, there is a function "Export Configuration" when right clicking the sub-domain, most appreciated if you can let me know what is the use of these function, and when we should use this function, for example, migrating LUs among subdomain?

Last but not least, is there any method to mass update the LU in the server? For example, we have 100 LU in the HIS 2009 SNA Connections, named ALU001 to ALU100, now for some cases, we need to rename as BLU001 to BLU100. It is very time-consuming and error will be produced easily. It would be good if you can provide a guidence for this case.

Sorry for long questions. Hope you can let us know since we are new on HIS :)

• Edited by ckmalice Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:45 AM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:42 AM
  • The 352 error can occur for a few different reasons. One of them occurs if a backup (or secondary) HIS Server is not able to locate the Primary HIS Server in the subdomain. Is this upgrade server a backup HIS Server? If so, did you try to add it to the same HIS Subdomain as the HIS 2000 Server? The error may be occurring because the new HIS 2009 Server cannot locate the Primary HIS Server.

If you are just testing on a standalone HIS 2009 Server, then you should have made this one a Primary HIS Server in a new HIS Subdomain.

As far as changing the role of the HIS 2009 Server, you can do it using the HIS 2009 Configuration Tool. If you run the Configuration Tool, you can click the Network Integration option to see the Subdomain information. You can then change the role using the drop-down list.

Regarding the "Export Configuration" option, are you referring to the option in the HIS Configuration Tool? If so, this is used to export the configuration of the options specified in the Configuration Tool so that you can use these to configure similar HIS Servers (e.g. the HIS features and services that are enabled ont eh server). This does not include any of the HIS configuration related to connections or LUs.

If you are in SNA Manager and right-click the Subdomain name, you get options for Backup configuration and Restore configuration. These options let you backup or restore the HIS configuration file (COM.CFG) that contains the HSI configuration of connections, LUs, users, etc.

Since the LUs all use the same naming convention, the easiest way to rename them is likely to delete the LUs and then use the LU Creation wizard to recreate them. Right-click the HIS Server name in SNA Manager, click All Tasks, then click Range of LUs...

This brings up the LU Creation Wizard that you can step through to create a range of LUs using a naming and numbering scheme. This is the fastest way to create LUs that will share a common naming format.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:47 PM
  • Thanks Stephen.

For the 352 error, I guess it may be cause when changing the Primary Server Role without restarting SNABase. I have tried the following without restarting SNABase

1. Add HIS 2009 to the HIS 2000 Subdomain
    2. Change HIS 2009 as Primary
    3. Change HIS 2000 as Secondary
    4. Start SNAServer in the HIS 2009, then receive Error 352

As you mentioned, there are 2 types of configuration backup (on SNA or Configuration), I hope to know the following items will be stored in which of configuration files

1. Subdomain Name
    2. Pool

In addition, I found that HIS 2009 allows different user having different HIS Configuration. However, I am not able to find the advanced button on the common setting page. Is it only available if the HIS is Terminal Server? If not, how can I enable this function?

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 2:29 AM
  • As I mentioned previously, if you mix HIS Server versions in the same HIS subdomain, the primary HIS Server has to be the oldest HIS version. In your case, the HIS 2009 Server should be the Secondary Configuration Server (i.e. Backup) and the HIS 2000 Server should remain as the Primary Server.

If you make the HIS 2009 Server the primary server (and/or save the configuration from SNA Manager on the HIS 2009 Server) and change the configuration, the format of the configuration file will be updated to the HIS 2009 version, which is not compatible with HIS 2000. The result will likely be that the HIS 2000 Server will not be able to read the configuration file.

The specific SNA Gateway feature configuration (i.e. LUs, Connections, Pools. etc.) are int he HIS configuration file (COM.CFG) which can be backed up and restored using the BAckup and Restore Configuration options in SNA Manager. You can also simply copy the COM.CFG file to another location to make a backup of the HIS configuration.

Regarding the last point about the "different user configuration", it sounds like you are referring the HIS Client configuration settings. For a HIS 2009 Server configuration, there isn't an Advanced button on the Common Settings page. This page only contains the Security Groups used by the HIS Server.

The HIS Client configuration includes an Advanced button on the Common Settings page. You would set this up on systmes running the HIS 2009 Client.

As this thread has gotten more complex, my advice would be to open a support case, so you can work with a HIS support engineer to go through all the questions that you have on the upgrade. A fairly large number of customers have (and still are) been upgrading because of the end of support for HIS 2000 and the end of mainstream suport for HSI 2004 and HIS 2006 (as of last week).

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 2:41 PM
  • Thanks Stephen.

We have asked the Customer Service support before, they just provide a MSDN technet link only. So how can we open a case directly to the HIS Support Team?

Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:39 AM
  • If your company has a support contract, you should be able to get a case opened through that contract.

If not, you can go to http://support.microsoft.com/select/Default.aspx?target=assistance, enter Host Integration Server 2009 product finder text box and then follow the wizard to get a support case opened. Part of the wizard will display a payment method where you can select among three listed options.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:30 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

I have tried but cannot find any result for Host Integration Server 2009. Most appreciated if you can provide more guidance.

Friday, April 20, 2012 8:22 AM
  • If you start typing "Host Integration Server" (without quotes) in the Type product name here text box, you will see a list of HIS versions to choose. The screen shot of this portion of the link I included above is show here:

When you choose Host Integration Server 2009 from the resulting list as you type the product name, you will be taken to a Product and Problem page, where you select a Support Topic that describes the issue that you are having. In this case, you'd want to select HIS Setup and Configuration. For the Sub-topic, select HIS deployment and migration.

I hope this helps.

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Friday, April 20, 2012 3:05 PM