none
Permanently changing the WindowsImageBackup location in DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I understand that DPM 2010 was changed to perform the System State Backup (SSB) on the drive with the most space. I'm I correct?

If that is the case, how can I hard code it to perform the SSB to a directory I specify? I tried editing the PSDataSourceConfig.xml file to point to the new location, but it is still picking a drive with the most space and ignoring what I specified in the .xml file.

Thanks

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:40 PM

Answers

• I tested it using the above method and created the folder named windowsimagebackup.  I pointed the psdatasourceconfig.xml to that directory and launched the backup.  I found that the target system removed my mount point and created a new folder with that name and then did the backup.  I'm doing some more testing on it, but it appears that this will not work.  I'll see if I can get more explanation.  Is there a reason you can't give the volume a drive letter instead of a mount point and then use the drive letter?
    Thanks, Chris Butcher - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Proposed as answer by ShaneB. _ Monday, May 23, 2011 1:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steinomite Tuesday, May 31, 2011 5:09 PM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 3:35 PM

All replies

• You are correct in your understanding as well as the solution.  The trick with that solution is that you have a couple more steps to get it to work.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb809015.aspx

To change the location of the system state backup file

1. On the protected computer, open PSDatasourceConfig.xml in an XML or text editor. PSDatasourceConfig.xml is typically located at install path\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Datasources.

2. Change the <FilesToProtect> value from %systemdrive% to the desired location.

3. Save the file.

4. On the DPM server, if there is a protection group protecting the system state of the protected computer in step 1, run a consistency check.

5. The consistency check will fail and generate an alert. Perform the recommended actions in the alert as follows:

1. In the alert details, click the Modify protection group link, and then step through the wizard.

2. Perform a consistency check.

Have you followed all of these steps?

Thanks, Chris Butcher - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 2:59 PM
  • Hi Chris:

Yes I have tried those steps. It has been successfull for me in the past, but ever since we migrated to 2010, changing the FileToProtect path doesn't do anything. It still keeps using the drive with the most space.

Thanks

Chris

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 3:46 PM
  • I just tested in my environment and it did take the changes and failed as expected (steps I posted above).  So, try renaming the file completely (.old) and then create a recovery point.  With that file not there, we can watch to see what behavior it uses.
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 3:54 PM
  • Yeah, I have followed the instructions before (quite a few times actually)

The only thing that I can see differently here is that the location I am trying to perform the system state backup to is a mount point within the drive. Do you think that SS backups aren't supported to mount points? I had to configure my system this way because the C: drive is too small. The mount point points to iSCSI storage.

Thanks

Chris

Thursday, May 5, 2011 6:49 PM
  • I haven't tried that but will tomorrow to see if it fails.  Can you use wbadmin to do a SS backup to that location?  That may tell us if WSB is even able to go to a mount point.  I'll post again tomorrow if I'm able to test myself.
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 7:21 PM
  • Hi Chris:

I performed a manual backup to the mount point and it worked just fine. Thinking that maybe with it created ahead of time, DPM would now use it as a location, I ran the c-check again and it still failed.

Let me know if you encounter the same issue tomorrow.

Chris

Thursday, May 5, 2011 11:31 PM
  • Chris,

I'm about to set this up, but I want to be sure I am reproing the same thing.  Let me know if I understand your setup correctly.

On the protected server you created a folder on the C drive (c:\folder1) and then assigned a mount point for an empty volume to that folder.  You are then modifying the psdatasourceconfig.xml to point it to the c:\folder1.  Is that correct?

Chris

Friday, May 6, 2011 2:58 PM
  • I tested it using the above method and created the folder named windowsimagebackup.  I pointed the psdatasourceconfig.xml to that directory and launched the backup.  I found that the target system removed my mount point and created a new folder with that name and then did the backup.  I'm doing some more testing on it, but it appears that this will not work.  I'll see if I can get more explanation.  Is there a reason you can't give the volume a drive letter instead of a mount point and then use the drive letter?
    • Proposed as answer by ShaneB. _ Monday, May 23, 2011 1:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steinomite Tuesday, May 31, 2011 5:09 PM
    Friday, May 6, 2011 3:35 PM
  • Hi Chris:

Thanks for testing. You were correct in describing how I am trying to do this (my setup). I guess there is no real reason why I couldn't use a drive letter accept that one of the servers I need to protect (system state) is using most its drive letters already.

I'll wait to see what you find out about the mount points as this would be my preferred method. If all bad news comes back, I'll just use drive letters.

Thanks again for digging in.

Chris

Friday, May 6, 2011 7:12 PM
  • For anyone stumbling upon this, system state backups via DPM 2010 is not supported to a mount point.
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 5:10 PM