none
"Other" Start Menu Category

Question

• Hi all,

I would like to know where the items that show in the "other" Start menu category on a Windows 10 1607 OS are located. I cant'find them anywhere. They're not not in the registry, neither in

%username%\appdata\roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\programs

or

C:\users\default\appdata\roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\programs

or

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\programs

Here is a picture of what the Start Menu is showing. 

Thank you!

Davide

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 10:59 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Try running Start Menu troubleshooter:

https://www.kapilarya.com/download-start-menu-troubleshooter-for-windows-10

Hope this helps, Good luck :)

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 12:40 PM
  • Thank you,

It's not what I'm asking... anyway I've run it and it says "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem"

I just need an absolute path on the operating system, or a registry key, something that shows me where those shortcuts actually are.

Davide

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 1:05 PM
  • Hi,

Those are metro apps and there are no shortcuts to open them.

Is it available to open those metro applications(search them directly)?

You symptom seems weird, I checked the start menu on my side there is not “other” option in the list.
    So I suspect there is something wrong with your account. Please try to login devcie with another account to check the issue again.

Best regards,

Joy.
    Thursday, May 4, 2017 10:13 AM
  • THank you,

Just to clarify: I'm creating a reference machine to be deployed via sccm. These are metro apps I've uninstalled from the administrator account just before sysprep in order to customize the default profile. For some unknown reasons the shortcuts are recreated for every new user, even if the metro apps the shortcuts point to are not available. Anyway I've found a way of deleting them from the default profile: you need to remove this folder (before any other user logs on) C:\Users\Default\appdata\Local\TileDataLayer 

All the best,

Davide

Monday, May 8, 2017 10:07 AM