Multiple DB files clean migration (follow up to my decommission question) RRS feed

• Question

• So I have requested help standing up a new environment and phasing out an old one since it was "all messed up" after spending some time digging into it it looks like best practice was followed (which I don't know how I missed this after reading through Mastering the fundamentals by Kent Agerlund multiple times). Apparently they suggest you create multiple SQL file based on how many CPU's you have available to help performance. 

The question I have now is when the backup site task runs it only backs up 1 2GB MDF file and a 11GB LDF file. Does that make sense? It doesn't look like the other SQL files that were created are being used at all? None of the SQL files have not grown past the initial size (the first file started at 2GB and is still that size). 

Assuming everything is working correctly my new plan would be to upgrade the existing setup and do a backup and restore to the new box using the same site code and server name. If I do that will it bring all those other SQL files with it our can I consolidate onto 1 file again? I don't think we need to worry about performance as the DB is pretty small and I'm trying to keep things simple. 

My other choice is I have the new server built with new site code so I could add the first site as a child site and migrate things over? I have multiple DP's out there so I'm not sure best way to handle that. The plan was to blow them away and rebuild brand new ones for the new site, but if I can just throw an upgrade on them that should work and be less work. 

Monday, November 17, 2014 1:37 PM

Answers

• My other choice is I have the new server built with new site code so I could add the first site as a child site and migrate things over?

That won't work in CM12.

Just back up the database using SQL and use that for the restore (there's no need for the SMSBackup task in CM12).

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Marked as answer by Kevinlause Monday, November 17, 2014 2:30 PM
    Monday, November 17, 2014 2:00 PM

All replies

• My other choice is I have the new server built with new site code so I could add the first site as a child site and migrate things over?

That won't work in CM12.

Just back up the database using SQL and use that for the restore (there's no need for the SMSBackup task in CM12).

• Marked as answer by Kevinlause Monday, November 17, 2014 2:30 PM
    Monday, November 17, 2014 2:00 PM
  • To do the backup and restore I'll need to keep the site code and server name the same correct? I thought I had read you could do a side by side with CM2012 R2. 
    Monday, November 17, 2014 2:06 PM
  • It depends on what you are trying to do exactly: restoring from backup will result in the same code. Setting up another site requires to use a different sitecode.

Monday, November 17, 2014 3:10 PM