When was xcopy broken and why, and how do I get it back? RRS feed

• Question

• For most of this year I've had a backup utility running that issued a simple command line starting with

xcopy "\\192.168.128.136\DataFolder"

It ran perfectly on both Win 7 and win 10.

About three weeks ago it stopped working with windows 10. telling me that the above is an invalid drive.

It still runs perfectly under windows 7

What KB update caused it to break, why did you break it, and when are you planning to unbreak it please?

It works perfectly OK on windows 10 if I map that path to a drive letter: But this is impractical. if I try to use the servername sharename approach has also just become an invalid drive specification. (I am not allowed by your system to enter the proper syntax for that)

As far as I can tell xcopy hasn't been changed since October 2015, so this must be a windows 10 update 'feature' surely??

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 9:35 AM

Answers

• Just tried this on 10586.218 so the latest updates and it worked ok, i.e. xcopy c:\somefile.txt \\192.168.1.213\share

Now do get a Invalid drive specification if I do not have access to the network location, so I try the xcopy, error, connect with explorer entering details, retry xcopy works.

So can you double check you have access?

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 6:53 PM
  • Hi dmhzx,

First of all, please ensure the \\192.168.128.136\DataFolder folder is accessible. We could try to access it from the Windows Explorer.
    I have made a test on my Windows 10 machine(windows 10 1511) and it could work well.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 5, 2016 6:32 AM

All replies

• Just tried this on 10586.218 so the latest updates and it worked ok, i.e. xcopy c:\somefile.txt \\192.168.1.213\share

Now do get a Invalid drive specification if I do not have access to the network location, so I try the xcopy, error, connect with explorer entering details, retry xcopy works.

So can you double check you have access?

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 6:53 PM
  • Hi dmhzx,

First of all, please ensure the \\192.168.128.136\DataFolder folder is accessible. We could try to access it from the Windows Explorer.
    I have made a test on my Windows 10 machine(windows 10 1511) and it could work well.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 5, 2016 6:32 AM