Configuring iSCSI using iscsicli.exe RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know how to configure iSCSI on Server Core? I have read the user guide, but I'm puzzled by the syntax to use.

My initiator IP is 192.168.50.13, the target (WinTarget, also the target portal) is 192.168.50.10.

If someone could help me out by posting an example syntax to login to the target that would be great! I manages to get the target portal added, list the targets and try to connect to the target, but I'm unsure where to use what IP / initiatorname.

Thanks,

\Rob

Saturday, August 5, 2006 6:31 AM

Answers

• Hi Rob,

I checked with the team that owns iscsicli.exe and here is what they told me:

There are examples in the users guide, it sounds like it is working fine. If he only has the software initiator then he doesn't need to use the initiator name. If he doesn't specify an ip address then Windows TCP/IP will use the appropriate ip address for the target ip.

In any case he can do the following

iscsicli listinitiators
    Initiators List:
        Root\ISCSIPRT\0000_0
    The operation completed successfully.

iscsicli logintarget targetname t * * Root\ISCSIPRT\0000_0 0 * * * * * * * * * * * 0

The number in red is the initiator portal and maps to the source ip address.

The users guide mentioned above can be downloaded from: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=12CB3C1A-15D6-4585-B385-BEFD1319F825&displaylang=en

Andrew

Monday, August 7, 2006 6:07 PM
  • I managed to get it working:

The problem was that the machine name had changed and that the TargetPortal socket was not specified. The syntax that worked:

logintarget iqn.2003-05.com.stringbeansoftware:iscsidc-lhservercore1-target T *
    * Root\ISCSIPRT\0000_0 192.168.50.10 3260 * * * * * * * * * * 0

This showed me the assigned volumes in DiskPart. :)

Monday, August 14, 2006 7:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Rob,

I checked with the team that owns iscsicli.exe and here is what they told me:

There are examples in the users guide, it sounds like it is working fine. If he only has the software initiator then he doesn't need to use the initiator name. If he doesn't specify an ip address then Windows TCP/IP will use the appropriate ip address for the target ip.

In any case he can do the following

iscsicli listinitiators
    Initiators List:
        Root\ISCSIPRT\0000_0

iscsicli logintarget targetname t * * Root\ISCSIPRT\0000_0 0 * * * * * * * * * * * 0

The number in red is the initiator portal and maps to the source ip address.

The users guide mentioned above can be downloaded from: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=12CB3C1A-15D6-4585-B385-BEFD1319F825&displaylang=en

Andrew

Monday, August 7, 2006 6:07 PM
  • When entering the command above I get:

logintarget iqn.2003-05.com.stringbeansoftware:iscsidc-lh-eymarqthy6ve-target t
    * * Root\ISCSIPRT\0000_0 192.168.50.10 * * * * * * * * * * * 0

LoginTarget to iqn.2003-05.com.stringbeansoftware:iscsidc-lh-eymarqthy6ve-target
     on Root\ISCSIPRT\0000_0 to <no portal>/0

No such host is known.

///

listtargets
    Targets List:
        iqn.2003-05.com.stringbeansoftware:iscsidc-lh-eymarqthy6ve-target

///

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

\Rob

Thursday, August 10, 2006 7:30 AM
  • I managed to get it working:

The problem was that the machine name had changed and that the TargetPortal socket was not specified. The syntax that worked:

logintarget iqn.2003-05.com.stringbeansoftware:iscsidc-lhservercore1-target T *
    * Root\ISCSIPRT\0000_0 192.168.50.10 3260 * * * * * * * * * * 0

This showed me the assigned volumes in DiskPart. :)

Monday, August 14, 2006 7:02 AM