none
PrintService Operational log dissapears and PrintService Debug is in its place

Question

• Hello.

We have enabled the PrintService Operational and Admin logs on all of our print servers. It is part of our build. The logs have been operating as expected since the build of the server(s) [verified] These servers are a mix of 2008 R2 and 2012 R2. All servers are between 7 and 2 years old.

Recently, on only some servers - after applying windows updates (the same to all servers - at the same tijme - the rollup) using our patch deployment tool it would appear that the PrintService folder disappeared from the folder structure at Event Viewer>Application and Services Logs>Microsoft>Windows

Some servers now have a PrintService/Debug folder with a debug log, but the log does not open and throws an error about can't find the file specified. We have renamed the log(s) and restarted and the issue persists.

Some servers the PrintService folder is gone entirely. The files still exist at the default location, but they have not been written to since the updates were applied.

And some servers appear completely normal.

Windows updates may NOT be related, but the timing is hard to miss, so for now we are assuming there is a connection.

We are opening a support incident with MS, but has anyone ever seen or heard of this before?

Thanks

Monday, March 26, 2018 3:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    In order to test whether this problem is caused by windows update, you could roll back/uninstall that update on a problematic print server and see if the problem is gone.
    And I am glad that a case is opened up with Microsoft Technical Support, we will also keep this thread as open to wait for the feddback and we will always keep high attention on it. If there is any update from our side, you will know as soon as possible.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 2:17 AM
  • PrintService / Debug is the folder the spooler uses for Debug and Analytic events.

The Operational logs should be functional at the same time but the Operational logs are disabled during an Upgrade.  An Update should not impact this but the print team has changed a bit in the past three years.

If you disable Debug logging, do you get back the operational logs?

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

Thursday, March 29, 2018 3:50 AM
    Answerer
  • The issue looks slightly different across W2K8 R2 and W2K12 R2, but basically, the PrintService / Ddebug log is not functional - or enabled, so I don't know how to disable it. Is there another way other than the eventvwr interface and clicking 'disable' on the log?

If you try to enable, the Debug log throws an error as in the following images... (also you can see in these images that in W2K8 R2 the Debux evtx actually exists and on W2K12 R2 the evtx file does not. In both systems, the PrintService folder is missing but the operational and admin printservice logs are still resident at the default location)

The reason we are associating this issue with windows update is because the issue appears on all servers on Mar 11 at the time the servers were being updated. Please let me know if you would like any further information. We are still in process opening a support item with MS, it takes us a week or so to get it open :(

Thanks!

Thursday, March 29, 2018 4:25 PM
  • Yes, something is wacky there.

I hope someone at MS can sort this out.

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

Friday, March 30, 2018 5:36 AM
    Answerer
  • We have the same problem here. Since 3-4 years we used successfully the "PrintService\Operational" event log for automation in our workflow.

Now, since last friday, our automation is broken because this print log gets no more entries! I've spend already over 3 hours for this problem, but could only find this thread here. And still no solution. :-(

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 12:04 PM
  • I've been beating my head against a wall on this same issue - I have scripts that run from Task Scheduler based on monitoring of the PrintService Operational logs and they haven't been working for quite awhile due to an update. After searching online for recent inquiries and only finding this thread, I tried something really simple that ended up fixing the issue for me. After Disabling and then Enabling the PrintService Operational log it appears to be functioning again so that was my fix. To clarify, the log shows up as Enabled but doesn't function no matter how many device restarts, tests, etc. but after I right click on the Operational entry in Event Viewer and select 'Disable Log' then 'Enable Log', the issue is resolved.

Now I'm wondering if it will stay that way or if I should put a script in place to recycle it nightly.

• Edited by ThrynnZ Tuesday, May 15, 2018 7:08 PM
    Tuesday, May 15, 2018 7:06 PM
  • We don't see quite the same thing. Event viewer no longer contains a folder called PrintService which contains the print admin and operational logs. So we are not able to right click in event viewer and disable / enable. The logs do appear at the end of the list by themselves, but there is no way to disable or enable them from that position. These appear to be auto saved logs from the when the update failure occurred and the PrintDebug folder was created. MS suggested a fix whereby certain reg keys are copied from a working server. This did work, but the situation returned as soon as we tried to update those servers. Scope has grown now to failed windows updates, hopefully we get to the bottom of this with MS by figuring out why the updates are failing. Thanks for your input and I hope your fix works... Our is a slightly different symptom / issue.

Cheers

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 8:07 PM