none
Unable to add and delete DHCP failover -peer relation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to add DHCP-failover relation between two windows server d1 and d2 where d1 is general server and d2 being the AD enabled server it is giving exception that you do not have permission to perform this operation on the remote DHCP server, do I need to add any permission on ad enabled server so a normal server can communicate for failover can any one please help me to get this done

Thanks

TejaShetty 

• Edited by TejaShetty Saturday, February 2, 2019 1:05 PM
    Thursday, January 24, 2019 2:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in the forum.

Based on my lab test, the failover relationship is successfully configured between a normal DHCP server and a domain DHCP server without adding any permission.

Would you please make sure that:

• Both servers are running Windows Server 2012 or later
    • The two servers can ping each other
    • You've logged on both servers with an administrator account

If the issue still persists, please check the Event Viewer for the error message and post the detailed description.

You may find the events by right click on Start icon> Event Viewer> Custom Views> Server Roles> DHCP Server.

By the way, we'd like to remind you that an unauthorized DHCP server outside the AD domain may have trouble assigning IP addresses to domain users.

Your understanding and cooperation is appreciated.

Regards,

Zoe

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 25, 2019 5:36 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Zoe

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 28, 2019 7:50 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

We'd love to hear your feedback about the solution.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Zoe

Thursday, January 31, 2019 8:48 AM
  • Hi Zoe,

Thanks for reply. yes the windows servers are 2012 version only I have one issue from the above statements. I have created new user in windows server and i gave all permissions to access, is that would be problem? does both the servers should be login as administrator account only?

• You've logged on both servers with an administrator account

Thanks
    Tejashetty

• Edited by TejaShetty Saturday, February 2, 2019 1:15 PM
    Saturday, February 2, 2019 1:11 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

Both of the servers should be login as administrator account only. You may login as local admin on the computer outside the domain.

Regards,

Zoe

Monday, February 4, 2019 1:57 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Zoe

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 6:02 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

We'd love to hear your feedback about the solution.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Zoe

Monday, February 11, 2019 8:04 AM
  • Hi Zoe,

Sorry for delay I am on vacation.Thanks for following up the issue. Yes it worked after I logged in as  administrator for both servers but I have observed one more thing it worked only when both the servers has same password it it correct? both the  widows serves should be logged in as administrator and both should have same password?

Thanks,                                                                                                                                                        Teja

• Edited by TejaShetty Wednesday, February 13, 2019 8:55 AM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 1:55 PM
  • Hi,

Usually when configuring DHCP failover, we set the same password for the local administrator and log on with the account to configure it. We can also log on the two servers with a domain administrator account.

Regards,

Zoe

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 7:40 AM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for info. So it is the mandatory thing that the password should be same for two windows servers and account can be of domain administrator type? 

Thanks                                                                                                                                                                              TejaShetty

• Edited by TejaShetty Wednesday, February 13, 2019 10:02 AM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2019 10:02 AM