CAS-CAS proxying and EWS availability service RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

A couple of days ago, I decided in all my wisdom to put one of our Exchange 2007 MB role Servers into a new AD Site located at our new datacentre. The HubT, CAS and other MB servers remain at the old location for now. We are migrating the main office infrastructure to this new datacentre in the comming months.

Little did I realize, that each AD Site needs it's own CAS and HubT, so this MB server wasn't working properly. There was no mailflow possible to/from the remote MB server, without a HubT. And OWA could not access any mailboxes located on the remote MB server. Basically all you could do was connect Outlook to the remote MB server using MAPI.
    Since then I installed additional CAS and HubT roles in the new AD site and all is well.

But, there was one other thing that wasn't working before I did this.
    When we pulled up the Calendar of a user located on MB server in the new AD site using Outlook, it couldn't get this information. The Calendar stayed empty. Since there was no CAS in this site, there was no way to access the EWS for availablity. Sounds logical right ?

But the weird thing was that the same Outlook client could also not get Calendar information for users NOT located on the remote MB server in the new AD site. These users were located at the same AD site and MB server as the Outlook MB that was being used. And this site has had a CAS for years.
    I therefore assumed we had some other issue, but was surprised to see this issue resolved after I added the CAS and HubT role at the new AD site.

Anyone care to comment ?

Greetz
    Richard

Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:40 AM

All replies

• Hi
       calendar information is stored in mailbox role. But user get calendar information through EWS which is installed on cas server.
       http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/exchange/dd877045(v=exchg.140).aspx

Terence Yu

TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 15, 2013 3:00 AM
  • Yes I already knew that.

But my primary AD site still had a functioning CAS and therefore EWS. So I would expect calendar information from that AD site (and Mailboxes) to still be available through EWS. But it wasn't.

I was only until I added a 2nd CAS server in the remote AD site that all Calendar information from mailboxes in the primary AD site was again available through EWS.

This doesn't make sense.

Friday, February 15, 2013 11:28 AM