Are versions of PWA ActiveX Controls different between Project Server 2007 SP2 and SP3? RRS feed

• Question

• Our organization is currently using Project Server 2007 SP2 with Project Professional SP2 and PWA 2007 SP2. We plan to apply SP3 to all the components. Under our corporate IT Security Standards, we have to deliver PWA ActiveX Controls to the server users via special module package created by IT instead of using server "push-out". Currently, we have "PWA Client 2007 SP2 package" that contains all the PWA ActiveX controls. Does anyone know if SP3 update includes new versions of ActiveX Controls or all the versions are still the same as SP2? If SP3 updates has the same PWA ActiveX versions as SP2, I assume that we can still use the existing PWA Client package?

Friday, July 27, 2012 1:41 PM

Answers

• Hello, yes I have learned that it is different between sp2 and sp3.  I patched our test environment first and used the dlls from that installation.

Here's how I obtained the Active x controls and deployed them to Project clients who cannot download and install them from PWA.

From the application server PS2007 sp3, copied the two cab files pjclient.cab and pjcintl.cab from c:\program files\ common files\microsoft shared\web server extentions\12\templates\layouts\pwa\objects.

You can extract the files from pjclient.cab and pjcintl.cab and you will have several dlls.  Copy those dlls to the c:\windows\sys32 folder of the client pc.  Then register the dlls from the command line.  For example

XCOPY L:\<somelocation>\ActiveXSP3\*.* "%windir%\Downloaded Program Files\" /r /h /y

regsvr32 /s "%windir%\Downloaded Program Files\pj12enuc.dll"

regsvr32 /s "%windir%\Downloaded Program Files"\pjres12c.dll"
    regsvr32 /s "%windir%\Downloaded Program Files"\PJPrint12.dll"
    regsvr32 /s "%windir%\Downloaded Program Files"\PJTEXTCONV12.dll"
    regsvr32 /s "%windir%\Downloaded Program Files"\PJGRID12.ocx"
    regsvr32 /s "%windir%\Downloaded Program Files"\PJQUERY12.ocx"

Sine we have hundreds of PWA users, we put the above commands in a .bat file and used sms to run it on all pwa clients.

I hope this is helpful.

• Marked as answer by YukoGrisius Friday, July 27, 2012 7:29 PM
    Friday, July 27, 2012 5:44 PM

All replies

• Hello, yes I have learned that it is different between sp2 and sp3.  I patched our test environment first and used the dlls from that installation.

Here's how I obtained the Active x controls and deployed them to Project clients who cannot download and install them from PWA.

From the application server PS2007 sp3, copied the two cab files pjclient.cab and pjcintl.cab from c:\program files\ common files\microsoft shared\web server extentions\12\templates\layouts\pwa\objects.

You can extract the files from pjclient.cab and pjcintl.cab and you will have several dlls.  Copy those dlls to the c:\windows\sys32 folder of the client pc.  Then register the dlls from the command line.  For example

XCOPY L:\<somelocation>\ActiveXSP3\*.* "%windir%\Downloaded Program Files\" /r /h /y

regsvr32 /s "%windir%\Downloaded Program Files\pj12enuc.dll"

regsvr32 /s "%windir%\Downloaded Program Files"\pjres12c.dll"
    regsvr32 /s "%windir%\Downloaded Program Files"\PJPrint12.dll"
    regsvr32 /s "%windir%\Downloaded Program Files"\PJTEXTCONV12.dll"
    regsvr32 /s "%windir%\Downloaded Program Files"\PJGRID12.ocx"
    regsvr32 /s "%windir%\Downloaded Program Files"\PJQUERY12.ocx"

Sine we have hundreds of PWA users, we put the above commands in a .bat file and used sms to run it on all pwa clients.

I hope this is helpful.

• Marked as answer by YukoGrisius Friday, July 27, 2012 7:29 PM
    Friday, July 27, 2012 5:44 PM
  • Hello Jenn,

Thank you for your prompt answer with clear and detailed descriptions!

Yes, we took the similar approach for SP2. I will do it for SP3 too.

Friday, July 27, 2012 7:34 PM