none
3TB virtual disk with 0% unallocated so can't use as storage pool RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a VM SharePoint 3-tier farm with a System Center 2012 SP1 - DPM server. I have a new, empty 3TB virtual disk on the DPM server and want to use as storage pool. When I add it to the storage pool it shows 0% unallocated space so I cannot back anything up and consequently can't create a protection group.  How can I use this large drive with DPM 2012 SP1?
    Friday, November 1, 2013 6:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Since it's over 2TB, you will need to convert it to a GPT disk so Windows will be able to use it's full capacity. 

1) Remove the disk from the DPM Storage pool.
    2) Open disk management and delete any volumes / partitions you have on it.
    3) Once it's all unallocated space, right-click the physical disk in disk management and select "Convert to GPT Disk"
    4) Add the GPT disk which is still all unallocated free space back into the storage pool.

DPM should be able to use it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, November 1, 2013 11:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Since it's over 2TB, you will need to convert it to a GPT disk so Windows will be able to use it's full capacity. 

1) Remove the disk from the DPM Storage pool.
    2) Open disk management and delete any volumes / partitions you have on it.
    3) Once it's all unallocated space, right-click the physical disk in disk management and select "Convert to GPT Disk"
    4) Add the GPT disk which is still all unallocated free space back into the storage pool.

DPM should be able to use it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, November 1, 2013 11:37 PM
  • Thanks Mike, this worked like a charm!

Saturday, November 2, 2013 12:04 AM