none
SharePoint 2013 - Physical Memory very high

Question

• Hi Guys,

Physical memory on my SharePoint sever is very high, it nearly reaching the threshold. I got 16 GB of physical memory. I now reach on 14 GB. I got my database SQL 2012 and SharePoint 2013 installed on the same server.

3 days ago the physical memory was reaching 15.7 GB and I was having error message "unexpected response from the server", I was unable to do any transaction on my site. I restart the server and my physical memory reduce and was 6 GB. After 2 days that is today the physical memory comes to 14 GB on Task Manager, its again reaching the threshold and I do not want to experience same error message  "unexpected response from the server", and I will have to restart the server again. Its very annoying for my client to go downtime for 8 to 10 minutes all the time.

On resource monitor I can observe that my sqlservr.exe is taking lot of spaces (size).

I searched on TechNet, why my physical memory is very high all time and solution that I got is on link below:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18899.sharepoint-2013-limit-sql-server-memory-allocation.aspx

I would like to know if I apply this solution, I limit my database server to some GB, what will be the impact on my server?

Will it affect my database later on when large amount of data will be migrated on SharePoint?

Please suggest is it a good decision to limit the size of db or list all the impact that may cause my SharePoint.

Regards,

Bhavna.

Bhavnasu

• Edited by Bhavnasu Tuesday, May 02, 2017 7:38 AM No effect take place on limiting my database server to some GB. After one week I am still having high physical memory.Please Help.
    Thursday, March 09, 2017 7:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Bhavnasu,

You can limit memory usage of SQL for few GB. SQL uses the memory for caching purposes - so there is no fear of SQL using that much memory.

Refer to the following article about Max server memory – Do I need to configure:

https://mssqlwiki.com/2013/04/22/max-server-memory-do-i-need-to-configure/

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, March 13, 2017 9:30 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

Sorry to revert back after more than one month.

I applied the above solution on my SQL application that is, I decrease the maximum server memory from 2147483647 MB to 8388608 MB, my physical memory on Task Manager is still increasing.

Please advise what should I do in that case?

Thanks & Regards,

Bhavnasu

Bhavnasu

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 7:47 AM