none
Managing SteadyState with domain policies RRS feed

• Question

• I wonder if it's possible to turn the disk protection function on and off and to mark "do not ask for storing data" checkbox with using a domain policies.

I have about 100 computers in classes, and each time I wanna install or change something I have to disable steadystate, then install/change everything, then enable steadystate again.

- Valentin
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 1:56 PM

Answers

• When SteadyState is installed, there're two links in Run section of the registry:

Bubble.exe
    SCTUINotify.exe

The first one makes a notification each time after logon, at the right bottom.
    I still wonder what second one is for.

I use russian version, so the words may be different.
    • Marked as answer by Valet2 Friday, March 20, 2009 4:36 PM
    Friday, March 20, 2009 3:31 PM
  • Well,

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Windows SteadyState\Parameters]
    "DontWarnOnDiscard"=dword:00000000

if 00000001 you will get a warning "save and restart" or not.
    Friday, March 20, 2009 4:30 PM

All replies

• I don't think you need to disable Steady State to install or change anything, you just make your changes and reboot and Steady State will ask if you want to "save" your changes.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:09 PM
  •  

Yes, you do not need to disable WDP in Windows SteadyState. You can log on the computer by using an Administrator account, making changes, logging off and then you can choose to save the changes and restart the computer.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Friday, March 20, 2009 6:59 AM
  • Well, the fact that you don't have to turn off WDP is very good.  The trick is how do we choose "save the changes"?  That is, we need to be able to patch hundreds of computers at a time over the network.  Is there a command line switch (or, some other setting; maybe a reg hack/switch) that we can use with our scripts that will tell Steady State to "save the changes" on restart?

Kinda like to do this with System Configuration Manager.  Should be doable since you can incorporate scripts into your tasks for application updates.  Or, I'm a newbie at this, but seems like a good chance.

Anyway, any way to accomplish the above?

Thanks,

Geoff Weatherford

Computing Resource Group

College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences,

Colorado State University

(970) 491-2627

geoff.weatherford@colostate.edu

Friday, March 20, 2009 2:31 PM
  • Never mind.  Please ignore this question.  I found the answer in another thread.  At least part of the answer:

Hi Andrew, I'd like to inform you that Windows SteadyState does not include the function to query the status of WDP on each computer, however, you can enable/disable WDP via command line or remotely:

Enable Disk Protection Via Command-Line

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2665536&SiteID=17

Can I change the level of Disk Protection from remote?

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2117002&SiteID=17

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

GeoffW
    Friday, March 20, 2009 3:23 PM
  • When SteadyState is installed, there're two links in Run section of the registry:

Bubble.exe
    SCTUINotify.exe

The first one makes a notification each time after logon, at the right bottom.
    I still wonder what second one is for.

I use russian version, so the words may be different.
    Friday, March 20, 2009 3:31 PM
  • Well,

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Windows SteadyState\Parameters]
    "DontWarnOnDiscard"=dword:00000000

if 00000001 you will get a warning "save and restart" or not.
    Friday, March 20, 2009 4:30 PM