Installing Updates in WSUS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

We have 3 new servers that need to be downloaded with the latest windows updates. We are using WSUS to install windows updates. I've create a new group in WSUS server (HR) and added the 3 new servers to install updates. When I click Search, Updates then entered the KB I want to install then approve only in the group, It says, "Removing approval of Cumulative Security update from all Computers" then "Approving Cumulative Update for Windows Server for installation to HR"

Now, my question is, when its says 'Removing approval..." does this mean that the update will be removed from the old computers and install it only in the HR group?

I'm really confused! Please help!!!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Monday, June 1, 2015 9:34 AM

Answers

• Hi,

>>Do I need to remove the servers first from WSUS then install all the updates automatically? 

Why not just point the servers to WSUS server and let them get the updates from WSUS server?

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by whitesql Monday, June 15, 2015 6:28 AM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2015 10:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Once patches installed from WSUS, You can't uninstall from WSUS serve, 

You can notice “Approve for Removal” option is grayed out. You need to manually uninstall from control panel,

Once you you removed patch from target group, it will not install for particular target group,

In your scenario,

If you are approving the patch for HR target group, patch will install on HR target group computers.

Refer below link for more info.
    http://searchdisasterrecovery.techtarget.com/tip/Removing-a-bad-patch-using-Microsoft-Windows-Server-Update-Service

Regards,
    Manjunath Sullad

Monday, June 1, 2015 9:54 AM
  • Thank you!

What is the best practice for new servers? 

Do I need to remove the servers first from WSUS then install all the updates automatically? 

Monday, June 1, 2015 10:35 AM
  • Hi,

>>Do I need to remove the servers first from WSUS then install all the updates automatically? 

Why not just point the servers to WSUS server and let them get the updates from WSUS server?

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by whitesql Monday, June 15, 2015 6:28 AM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2015 10:01 AM