NAP's Clinet Status Report RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

In my test environment, I have one dc server on server 2008 sp1. One domain member on server 2008 sp1 having NPS, DHCP and sql 2005 sp2. Both Server act as a Remediation Server role. My NAP is working fine, but when I am trying to  configure SQL server Logging for getting Reports of my client health, my client is not getting policy from NAP. I think I have miss configure the Data link Properties TAB under SQL server logging TAB.

Please help me to configure locally SQL server to store the NAP logs and getting NAP reports from SQL. My nap logs location is %systemroot%logfiles/NAP.

Mahesh Kumar
       MCTS  
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 7:00 AM

Answers

• Hi Mahesh,
      Thanks for contact us. Can you explain more on "client is not getting policy from NAP" ? Does the Client gets IP Address from DHCP Server (try IPCONFIG /release & IPCONFIG /renew   in the command prompt).
      Enabling SQL logging shouldn't stop the NAP Operations.

Netmon capture on the client machine while doing IPCONFIG /release & IPCONFIG /renew would also help us a lot.

Thanks
    -RamaSubbu SK
    Sorry! Microsoft doesn't own any liability & responsibility for any of my posting.
    • Marked as answer by MaK365 Wednesday, August 5, 2009 6:54 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by MaK365 Wednesday, August 5, 2009 6:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by MaK365 Wednesday, August 5, 2009 6:55 AM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 7:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Mahesh,
      Thanks for contact us. Can you explain more on "client is not getting policy from NAP" ? Does the Client gets IP Address from DHCP Server (try IPCONFIG /release & IPCONFIG /renew   in the command prompt).
      Enabling SQL logging shouldn't stop the NAP Operations.

Netmon capture on the client machine while doing IPCONFIG /release & IPCONFIG /renew would also help us a lot.

Thanks
    -RamaSubbu SK
    Sorry! Microsoft doesn't own any liability & responsibility for any of my posting.
    • Marked as answer by MaK365 Wednesday, August 5, 2009 6:54 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by MaK365 Wednesday, August 5, 2009 6:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by MaK365 Wednesday, August 5, 2009 6:55 AM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 7:13 PM
  • Thanks for Replying,

After configuring SQL server logging, my client is able to getting IP from DHCP. This part is working fine.
    But NAP operation is Stopped.

I am sure the problem is only miss-configuration of SQL server logging. If Someone have already done this Task, then please help me.
    My SQL server is locally with NPS.

Mahesh Kumar-MCTS Microsoft Management services
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 7:37 AM
  • Hi Mahesh,
     I could not see the two pictures in your reply, is that a screenshot  ? if so , kindly upload the photos into Live!Photos (http://photos.live.com ) and  give us the link. Still I couldn't get what do you mean by NAP Operation ? Is Auto Remediation not working or when the client is unhealthy it is treated as healthy machine ?
     What does the Event Log for DHCPServer and NPS says?

-RamaSubbu SK
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 9:21 PM
  • Hi,
        Your Query one:-It is not possible to me to upload a screen shot, i will explain you each setting which i have done.

Go to Accounting TAB in NPS console.   Click on Configure SQL Server Logging . In the SQL server Logging Tab,

Select -Accounting Requests, Authentication Requests, Periodic accounting status, Periodic authentication status .

Maximum number of concurrent sessions -2

Click on configure option then Data link Properties page will open, give the

1.       server name -(in my case NPS server having SQL 2005 sp2)

2.       select – use windows NT integrated security

3.       Select the database on the server and using drop down box select NPSDatabase

(Which is Created by me in SQL server )

4.       Check the Test connection , which is successful.

5.       I have left advance and All Tabs

Your  Query Two: - NAP Operation means, my clients getting IP from DHCP but auto remediation is not working client is

treated as a healthy.  .

My aim is to get the clients status reports from SQL.

Waiting for your Reply......

Saturday, August 8, 2009 10:15 AM
  • Hi All,
            I request to everyone,
    Help me to see the NAP client status Reports

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:59 AM
  • Hi Mahesh, 
      Can you tell me how you validating that the client is treated as Health ? Can you check the NPS event log what it is saying for clients ? I couldn't think how SQL Server can change the health evalution behaviour. I hope, that the SQL Server is responding quickly to NPS.
    Can also try installing SP2 and all other updates for Windows Server 2008 ?

Can also send us the network packets save while performing IPCONFIG /release & IPCONFIG /renew on the client side ? I want to know whether Server is returning the Health Response to client .
    You save the network packet using the tool Network monitor and you can download it from links below

x86: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=107100&clcid=0x409
    x64: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=107104&clcid=0x409
    ia64: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=128605&clcid=0x409

Thanks
    -RamaSubbu SK
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:12 AM
  • I Agree with your statement RAMA,
     Thanks for your Reply...

My NAP is working fine with DHCP enforcement. Now i want to see the NAP's client status reports in SQL reporting. We know that client status information is stored as a txt form and Event Viewer in NAP server. SO, my question is that,
    how can we transfer these information into SQL Database so we can get the Client status reports???

For that either we have to create a SQL database or manually create a table or using any script for that or which type of Customization is needed in SQL or in NAP Console...
    I am  not a sql Champ.
    Plz Guide me....

Monday, August 17, 2009 5:54 AM
  • Hi Mahesh Kumar,
    Good to know that your NAP deployment is working fine.
    Here is the link on how to configure NPS for SQL Server.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754123.aspx

Thanks
    -RamaSubbu SK
    Monday, August 17, 2009 5:57 AM
  • Hi

I am experiencing EXACTLY the same issues.

When not using the SQL logging option, the whole NAP concept works 100% correctly.

The moment I enable SQL logging on the NPS server, NAP breaks - I mean that a XP client that has no AV, and its firewall is switched off - is suddenly considered compliant and healthy.
    When I clear the SQL logging - the machine is automatically changed to non-compliant and auto-remediation occurs (i.e. firewall is started).

I have followed your link on how to configure NPS for SQL - but it does not resolve the problem - in fact it causes the problem.

Regards,
    Tom
    • Edited by D Wind Friday, August 21, 2009 8:46 AM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 8:45 AM
  • Hi Mahesh,
        Can you try information posted by Mr. Greg  @ http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverNAP/thread/188cd4fd-67ff-469f-b968-b6f1c186cf1f.

Thanks
    -RamaSubbu SK
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 6:52 AM