Empty "All programs" start menu RRS feed

• Question

• Hi group,

Since a few days, my "Start" menu, when I select "All programs", is completely empty. Everything looks and works perfectly okay until I go to "Start" / "All programs", then I get just an empty frame of the right size.

Szenario: Windows 7 RC x64, 8GB RAM, so resources shoudn't be an issue.

If this has happened to anybody else, or, even better, if anyone knows how to resolve it - it would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Harold
    Monday, June 1, 2009 6:25 AM

Answers

• To all users having this problem,

This fix walkthrough should resolve the issue.

-Alex
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Tuesday, June 2, 2009 3:16 PM
    Monday, June 1, 2009 3:16 PM

All replies

• It might be a long shot but have you used chkdsk /f from the command prompt run as admin.
    • Edited by blond Monday, June 1, 2009 10:03 AM
    Monday, June 1, 2009 9:59 AM
  • Hi there,

This happens to me also. All programs disappear from the Start Menu, and sometimes they all disappear from the Taskbar as well. This is normally after you try to select a program on the Taskbar and it says the resource is no longer available - do you want to remove the shortcut. When this happens you can't start the task manager via the bar because you get a 'No such interface supported'. I have to ctrl-alt-del and log off, then log back on. This happens quite frequently i.e. every 2/3 hours of use.

Running RC x32 Build 7100 on a new(ish) Toshiba Satellite Pro.

Paul. 
    Monday, June 1, 2009 10:01 AM
  • To all users having this problem,

This fix walkthrough should resolve the issue.

-Alex
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Tuesday, June 2, 2009 3:16 PM
    Monday, June 1, 2009 3:16 PM
  • Thanks to all,

That was a big help. Now knowing where the problem lies, I just removed a few redundant applications, which removed icons from the Start menu - and all was again as it should be!

Problem solved - thanks again!
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 6:24 AM