Voice Mail Access For Delegate RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone;

Is it possible for a Skype for Business delegate to access their delegator's voice mail?

I have an assistant configured as a delegate for a manager.  The manager has call forwarding turned on with calls going to her assistant immediately.

When a call comes in it rings the delegate.  If the delegate does not answer the call is sent to the manager's voice mail.

My understanding was that the assistant, as a delegate, should have access to her manager's voice mail.  I cannot see any way for the delegate to access the voice mail unless they have been given access to the delegator's Inbox in Outlook.  The delegate would then have to add the delegator's mailbox to their Outlook.

The manager doesn't want her assistant to have full access to her Inbox in Outlook.

Am I missing something?  Thanks in advance!

_Scott

Friday, March 29, 2019 6:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Scott,

This is the default behavior in Skype for Business, the voice mail will go to the original user, it is by design.

For your issue, I suggest you could create a folder under Inbox in Outlook, then create a rule to make the voice mail store in the folder. After this, you could set delegate access for Inbox as following screenshot:

Then right click Inbox -> Properties -> Permission, click the delegator, set the Read permission as None and Other as Folder visible. The “Folder visible” permission really only makes the folder visible to that person, it will not display any of its contents. 

After this, you could click the folder you created to store the voice mail, click properties to set the permission, then the delegator will only read the voice mail in the original user’s Outlook.   

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by woshixiaobai Tuesday, April 2, 2019 6:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by iamGigabYte Monday, April 15, 2019 7:06 PM
    Monday, April 1, 2019 3:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Scott,

This is the default behavior in Skype for Business, the voice mail will go to the original user, it is by design.

For your issue, I suggest you could create a folder under Inbox in Outlook, then create a rule to make the voice mail store in the folder. After this, you could set delegate access for Inbox as following screenshot:

Then right click Inbox -> Properties -> Permission, click the delegator, set the Read permission as None and Other as Folder visible. The “Folder visible” permission really only makes the folder visible to that person, it will not display any of its contents. 

After this, you could click the folder you created to store the voice mail, click properties to set the permission, then the delegator will only read the voice mail in the original user’s Outlook.   

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by woshixiaobai Tuesday, April 2, 2019 6:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by iamGigabYte Monday, April 15, 2019 7:06 PM
    Monday, April 1, 2019 3:12 AM
  • Hi Scott,

Is there any update for this issue? If the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 6:15 AM
  • Thank you for the suggestion Evan.  I will test this out and report back.
    Wednesday, April 3, 2019 6:02 PM
  • Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply, if there’s any update please let us know. 

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Monday, April 8, 2019 7:39 AM
  • Hi Evan;

Happy to confirm that this worked great, thanks again for the suggestion!

_Scott

Monday, April 15, 2019 7:06 PM