ProClarity Perspective View RRS feed

• Question

•  

I’ve designed ProClarity perspective that uses several dimension on the Background to report from cube. For one dimension that has only two members (Member1 and Member2) which rollup to ALL level I defined Data Point Attributes. Member1 points should be shown in Red color and Member2 in Black. I expected to see only Red and Black points in the perspective if I select ALL level but all points are Blue (probably default for ALL level). If I select either Member1 or Member2 then points in correct color are displayed. Why perspective does not display points in appropriate colors when ALL level is selected?

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 10:14 PM

Answers

• The problem you are running into is due to a limitation and poor UI design in the Perspective control.  The Data Point Attributes dialog gives the appearance of supporting the ability to create attributes on any hierarchy in the cube (the help file seems to indicate this as well).  That is in fact not true.  The Perspective only supports setting data point attributes on the hierarchies that are on the Rows axis.  The fact that you were seeing the data points change color when you selected Member1 or Member2 in the Background is an interesting side-affect not originally intended by the developers (it worked by accident).  If you move your dimension to the rows, it will behave as expected but you won't have the nice drop-down to toggle between the members.  The data points will vary by shape and/or color only for those hierarchies in the Rows axis.

Friday, December 7, 2007 5:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Slavalit:

I think your problem occurs because the ALL member is selected when you're query executes, but MEMBER1 and MEMBER2 are NOT selected. Since MEMBER1 and MEMBER2 are not selected their data point attributes won't be displayed. To explicitley see which members are selected after the query executes I suggest looking at the MDX generated. You can view the MDX by selecting View | MDX Editor, and select the 'Select Statement' tab. If you're not familiar with MDX you can copy/paste the MDX in the select statement into this thread and I can take a look at it and tell you which members from your 'two member' dimension are selected when the query executes.

PaulG

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 4:00 PM
  • The problem you are running into is due to a limitation and poor UI design in the Perspective control.  The Data Point Attributes dialog gives the appearance of supporting the ability to create attributes on any hierarchy in the cube (the help file seems to indicate this as well).  That is in fact not true.  The Perspective only supports setting data point attributes on the hierarchies that are on the Rows axis.  The fact that you were seeing the data points change color when you selected Member1 or Member2 in the Background is an interesting side-affect not originally intended by the developers (it worked by accident).  If you move your dimension to the rows, it will behave as expected but you won't have the nice drop-down to toggle between the members.  The data points will vary by shape and/or color only for those hierarchies in the Rows axis.

Friday, December 7, 2007 5:20 PM
  • Yep, that was a problem (data points that are not on the row axis). Frankly I find ProClarity GUI and even the way you have to save changes a bit confusing.  

Thank you,

Monday, December 17, 2007 8:28 PM