none
Cannot Create New Group Policy Preferences

Question

• In Group Policy Editor I cannot create new Group Policy Preference items in the Control Panel Settings (Data Sources to Start Menu in Group Policy Management Editor).

I was trying to create a file association (Folder Options > Open With but no dialog box appears when I click on this. Interestingly, it does appear with Printers and Internet Options.

I think that this information is contained with the file C:\Windows\System32\gpprefcl.dll as per the registry showing GPExtensions and this file definitely exists (albeit a different size/version to one on another server with the same OS). I have tried a few things including re-registering that .DLL but I'm not sure it's needed. RegDllView doesn't show this file as registered on either server (one that doesn't work, and one that does) despite the regsvr32 success message.

Any ideas?

EDIT: It seems like others have experienced this issue before, https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/25ea05c6-b885-4ee0-87af-efce2367f594/unable-to-create-new-items-in-group-policy-preferences?forum=smallbusinessserver
    • Edited by JBastyan Thursday, December 29, 2016 2:17 PM
    Thursday, December 29, 2016 2:13 PM

Answers

• Hi again Anne, 

I've just fixed this issue using Process Monitor. 

Filtered to Process Name mmc.exe and Operation to CreateFile and could see the failed capture referencing a file C:\Windows\System32\propshts.dll with the status 'NAME NOT FOUND' and this file didn't exist. The .mui equivalent did mind you. 

This file is the Group Policy Preferences Property Sheet and once I copied it in from another server, the properties dialog box appeared when I click on Open With. 

Thanks for your suggestion of using ProcMon, I have been fighting this issue for a few months. 

• Marked as answer by JBastyan Friday, December 30, 2016 9:41 AM
    Friday, December 30, 2016 9:41 AM

All replies

• Hi JBastyan,

Based on my understanding, you can't see "open with" here:

While could see it on Printers options.

As far as I'm concerned, there seems something dislocated with registry keys or something wrong with system files.

I would suggest run sfc /scannow to check if there are corrupted or missing system files; Check the health of the computer, check if it is attacked by virus.

Besides, you may use progress monitor to check the progress when right click folder, check which files will be invoked and compare it with working DCs (It's not a easy task, I tried to do so and found so many files are involved.)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 30, 2016 7:08 AM
  • Hi Anne,

Thanks for the reply.

That's not quite right actually, I can see the 'Open With', it's when I click on this nothing appears under certain Control Panel Settings.

I have ran an sfc /scannow and this has come back clean with no violations. Malware scan is clean also.

I'll give the Procmon idea a go but not holding out much open, unless you have any other ideas?

Thanks

Friday, December 30, 2016 8:05 AM
  • Hi again Anne, 

I've just fixed this issue using Process Monitor. 

Filtered to Process Name mmc.exe and Operation to CreateFile and could see the failed capture referencing a file C:\Windows\System32\propshts.dll with the status 'NAME NOT FOUND' and this file didn't exist. The .mui equivalent did mind you. 

This file is the Group Policy Preferences Property Sheet and once I copied it in from another server, the properties dialog box appeared when I click on Open With. 

Thanks for your suggestion of using ProcMon, I have been fighting this issue for a few months. 

• Marked as answer by JBastyan Friday, December 30, 2016 9:41 AM
    Friday, December 30, 2016 9:41 AM
  • Hi JBastyan,

It's really glad to hear it and thanks for feeding back the information. And you are welcome. Cheers :)

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 03, 2017 1:56 AM