none
PS 2013 Administrative Time of Type "Work" does not visually highlight overallocation. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

consider the following scenario in Project Server 2013 with the March PU:

• My project manager gives me a 3-day task, starting Monday, ending Wednesday, 8h/day.
    • In my timesheet, I add 8h Administrative (Working admin time) on Monday and 8h Sick time (Non Work admin time) and save.

Now, my project manager opens the schedule:

1. My Task is now Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, because Non Work admin time creates a calendar exception. so far, so good.
    2. Checking Resource Usage, I am assigned 16h of work on Monday. 8h Project plus 8h Timesheet work. Good.
    3. However, the 16h is not highlighted in red and the red stick man is not displayed in the Gantt Chart either.
    4. Yes, resource overallocation is set to check/calculate on a day-to-day basis and and adding a task for 0.1h on Thursday will cause overallocation.
    5. Doing the exact same thing on Project Server 2010 with SP1 and CU Feb 2013 will display the red text and stick man everything else stays exactly the same.

Can anyone reproduce this? Is it a bug or feature?

Kind regards,
    Adrian

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 4:57 PM

All replies

• Frankly it sounds to me like the bug is in 2010 and 2013 is displaying the correct behavior. Administrative time is not planned work, it is only actual work unless you model inside the Project Schedule. Based on your scenario, when you sent the update and the PM accepts it, then the system will reschedule the work to begin on Wednesday. It doesn't sound like you completed the data circuit. If your PM is doing his/her job and they know you didn't start your task and you were out sick, then the PM should have rescheduled the work to begin on Wednesday without you sending the update.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:23 PM
  • Adrian,

Did you enter the admin time as planned or as actual time? Also, is your PM opening the plan with the Load Summary Assignments box checked?

As for the Admin time, for vacation which is planned non-working admin time, you can enter planned to show when you will be out and the calendar exception is supposed to be generated on your resource calendar instance when approved, if approval is needed. Once the vacation occurs, you would update the actual hours.

For the non-working admin time, a calendar exception is generated on your resource calendar instance and your capacity for that day should be reduced.

I think there might be bugs here but I usually don't rely on ROGer (red overallocated guy) too much to see this.

Hope this helps.

Treb Gatte | @tgatte |http://AboutMSProject.com

Thursday, April 18, 2013 8:55 PM
  • Hi Gary and Treb,

thank you for your replies. It seems like describing two actions in one post lead to more confusion than clearing up the issue at hand. Let me try to pinpoint the actual issue with more precision, to make clear what is correct and what is not. First, the general things:

1. Timesheets are in Single-Entry Mode.
    2. The resource did not send any updates to the project manager for approval. The user entered timesheet data for two admin times that and saved the timesheet. Those two admi time do not require approval.
    3. Resource summary assignments are loaded by MS Project. Also, I close and restart MS Project between the tests to ensure that all timesheet data is available to the client.
    4. In MS Project Client resource overallocation is calculated on a day-to-day basis.
    5. All admin time had been entered as Actual Work in the Timesheet. In a repetition of the tests after your replies, I entered it as Actual Work *and* and work. No changes to behaviour.
    6. There are two admin times, i.e. I was conducting two tests as described above. The exact breakdown is as follows.

First: Non Work admin time (using Sick time)

1. The project contains a 3-day task Mon-Tue-Wed.
    2. Enter 8h of Sick time on Tuesday and save the timesheet.
    3. Open the project schedule in MS Project Client.
    4. Tuesday is now a non-working day for the resource. As such, the task is rescheduled to Mon-Wed-Thu.
    5. So far, so good. Excellent. The exact same behaviour as in PS 2010.

Second: Working admin time (using Administrative)

1. Enter 8h of Administrative on Monday and save the timesheet.
    2. Open the project schedule in MS Project Client, go to the view Resource Usage view.
    3. On Monday, the view shows that I am assigned 16h or work. 8h in the project and 8h in My Timesheet.
    4. So far, so good, the same behaviour as in 2010.
    5. However, the 16h of work on Monday are not highlighted as overallocation. There is no red stick figure icon in the task info column and the "16h" in the Resource Usage view are not in a red font either. Trying to run resource leveling will show no overallocation in the project.
    6. Since the timesheet work really is work and the project task has not been started yet, MS Project should recognise this as overallocation and highlight this to the project manager who has to change the schedule (maybe not for 1 day, but if it's a week or a month).
    7. Entering the Administrative timesheet work as Actual Work or as Actual Work and Work does not change the results.
    8. Repeating this in MS Project 2010 does highlight the overallocation, both, with ROGer and a red font for the "16h".
    9. Note that creating a second task for the resource on Wednesday for 1 minute will properly highlight this overallocation of 8.02h on Wednesday, but not the 16h on Monday.

From what I see, MS Project correctly reschedules around the Non Work admin time (Tuesday off) and recognises the My Timesheet work (16h total on Monday), but does not recognise it as overallocation.

Hopefully, this makes it a bit clearer.

Kind regards,
    Adrian

Saturday, April 20, 2013 11:09 AM
  • i suppose modifying the Type from Non-Work to Working will help account correct allocation.
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 7:58 AM