none
DPM2016 Hyper-V backup: Still same old registry "hack" to exclude VHDs ??? RRS feed

• Question

• Guys, I'm in the middle of deploying a DPM2016 setup and after a lot of hassle it's finally going smooth. Hoping someone ASAP can confirm that I still need to use the lame registry DoNotBackup "hack" on each clusternode to exclude certain VHDs on Hyper-V VM backups ? I really thought they would have fixed this in DPM2016, being able to exclude certain drives is kind of a basic feature if you ask me. I.e. on SQL database servers I'd only like a backup of VM with OS-disk (for quick disaster recovery) but the actual databases I will backup separately with SQL protection groups.

But unless I'm missing something here it's still the way it was on DPM 2012 R2? When selecting Hyper-V VMs on our cluster all I can do is select the entire server.

Sunday, February 26, 2017 3:28 PM

All replies

• https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/23300.scdpm-2012-r2-troubleshooting-exception-virtual-disk-vhd-vhdx-of-vm-backup-hyper-v.aspx

cmon, someone must know this...

Sunday, February 26, 2017 6:15 PM
  • I seem to recall technet being monitored by Microsoft employees back in the days - those days over ? This is a really simple question for someone with proper knowledge on DPM, especially someone working for MS.
    Wednesday, March 1, 2017 12:10 PM
  • COME ON PEOPLE, there HAS to be someone who can shed some light on this???? Nothing to be found after X hours of googling, 126 views and not a single reply in close to 1 month. It's kinda sad if I need to spend $250 on a Microsoft support case to get a YES or NO answer in this matter.

All I want is to exclude certain drives (VHDX files) within a Hyper-V VM, which should be a pretty d**n basic thing to do when performing backup. I've attempted to do it through the registry hack that worked on DPM 2012, this does NOT appear to work on DPM2016. So did I do something wrong or am I correct this no longer works? If so, am I even able to exclude drives when performing Hyper-V backup on DPM2016???

This adds to a rapidly growing list of reasons why I would like my boss to invest in Veeam. DPM to me comes off as a half-finish product filled up with bugs, registry work-arounds, powershell scripting & DOS-tools. And when you are stuck there is barely any online resources to resolve stuff. I'm so, so sick of this software

• Edited by ptbNO Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:55 PM
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:54 PM
  • Hi

You can use the same procedure (URL on top) for DPM 2016. it's even easier, you shouldn't make any manipulations on DPM server itself when you use MBS. Because MBS is dynamical expanding.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 10:06 AM
  • To exclude VHD/X from hyper-v backup you need to do registry hack, but it only works for Server 2012 R2 hyperv hosts. I wasn't able to exclude vhdx from backup on Server 2016 hosts, probably beacuse of RCT.

Tornado

• Proposed as answer by BOETORNADO Tuesday, September 18, 2018 11:41 AM
    Friday, September 8, 2017 7:19 AM