Windows Explorer will not perform a search RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Windows 7 running  XP Professional on a Dell E6300 w/an Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.0 GHz w/ 2 gig RAM.  I have an 800 GIG HD that is not even at 20% capacity.  When I right click any file in Windows Explorer and click search (I also get the same thing whenI click start and search), I get a new windows screen with the search icon highlighted but everything else is grayed out.  I am unable to perform any searches for files. 
    I ran Microsoft Windows repair and it did not fix the problem.
    I restored my computer to an earlier time when the windows search feature was working but that did not correct the problem either so I undid my restoration.
    What is causing this and how do I correct it?  Thanks, Rob   EMAIL GONE
    • Edited by abc-sol Friday, October 16, 2009 4:00 PM incorrect word
    Friday, October 16, 2009 3:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What do you mean “I get a new windows screen with the search icon highlighted but everything else is grayed out”? I suggest you capture a screenshot to clarify the symptom.

How to capture a screenshot

===============

1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please send this saved JPEG file to us via SkyDrive and provide us the link.

At that point, I suggest you rebuild the index to check if it work first.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, October 19, 2009 3:59 AM