Error when creating site collection RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm getting the following error when I try to create a new publishing site collection on a newly created web application.

Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
    Parameter name: ContentTypeId

The full error in the event log is

Event log message was: 'The site template was not provisioned successfully. Delete this site collection in Central Administration, and then create a new site collection.'. Exception was: 'System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
    Parameter name: ContentTypeId
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPContentTypeBindingElement.EnsureContentTypeExists(SPWeb web)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPContentTypeBindingElement.ElementActivated(SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, SPSqlCommand sqlcmdAppendOnly, SPWebApplication webApp, SPSite site, SPWeb web, Boolean fForce)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPElementDefinitionCollection.ProvisionContentTypeAndEventReceiverBindings(SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, SPSite site, SPWeb web, Boolean fForce)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPElementDefinitionCollection.ProvisionElements(SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, SPWebApplication webapp, SPSite site, SPWeb web, Boolean fForce)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.ProvisionElements(SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, SPWebApplication webapp, SPSite site, SPWeb web, Boolean fForce)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.Activate(SPSite siteParent, SPWeb webParent, SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, Boolean fForce)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureCollection.AddInternal(Guid featureId, SPFeaturePropertyCollection properties, Boolean force, Boolean fMarkOnly)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureCollection.Add(Guid featureId, SPFeaturePropertyCollection properties, Boolean fForce)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPTemplateAssociationElement.EnsureTemplateAssociatedWebFeaturesActivated(SPSite site, SPWeb web, String sTemplateName)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureManager.<>c__DisplayClass13.<EnsureTemplateAssociatedWebFeaturesActivated>b__12()
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.CodeToRunElevatedWrapper(Object state)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunAsUser(SPUserToken userToken, Boolean bResetContext, WaitCallback code, Object param)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunAsUser(SPUserToken userToken, CodeToRunElevated code)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureManager.EnsureTemplateAssociatedWebFeaturesActivated(Byte[]& userToken, Int32 nZone, Guid siteid, Guid webid, String sTemplateName)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.ApplyWebTemplate(String bstrUrl, String& bstrWebTemplate, Int32& plWebTemplateId)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.ApplyWebTemplate(String bstrUrl, String& bstrWebTemplate, Int32& plWebTemplateId)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.ApplyWebTemplate(String strWebTemplate)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.PortalProvisioningProvider.CreatePortal(String xmlFile, SPWeb rootWeb)

Many thanks for any help.

Steve

Friday, December 23, 2011 3:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As the error message suggested have you retried doing the same?

If again this does not work then try creating an empty site collection using STSADM command and then apply the template as shown in this example:

http://littletalk.wordpress.com/2010/09/16/the-site-template-was-not-provisioned-successfully-delete-this-site-collection-in-central-administration-and-then-create-a-new-site-collection/

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    • Marked as answer by Shimin Huang Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:00 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Steven Howard Tuesday, January 3, 2012 4:55 PM
    Monday, December 26, 2011 4:04 AM
  • Hi Steven,

There are two possible reasons for this.

1.       Some content type XML file was modified manual. So, file structure was destroyed.

2.       Some content type have not successfully install.

So, Please check this, I suggest you to delete the site collection, recreate them.

thanks,

Jack

• Marked as answer by Shimin Huang Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:01 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, January 3, 2012 2:38 PM
    Monday, December 26, 2011 9:04 AM
  • Hi Jack and happy new year.

Deleting and recreating the site still produces the same error. Before I try creating a blank site using STSADM as Rahul suggests I wondered how I would check whether the content type XML file was modified manually? I want to create the site collection on the root of a new web application. I have previuosly created site collections without error and am unaware of any changes made manually.

Many thanks

Steve

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 2:04 PM
  • Hi

I've just discovered that I can create a Team site on the root but not a Publishing site. Also, when I create an empty site and then associate the publishing portal I get the following error

Event log message was: 'The site template was not provisioned successfully. Delete this site collection in Central Administration, and then create a new site collection.'. Exception was: 'Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Provisioning did not succeed. Details: Failed to initialize some site properties for Web at Url: 'http://gr1-sptap01:26680' OriginalException: List does not exist

The page you selected contains a list that does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user. ---> Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: List does not exist

The page you selected contains a list that does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x81020026): List does not exist

The page you selected contains a list that does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user.

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.GetListsWithCallback(String bstrUrl, Guid foreignWebId, String bstrListInternalName, Int32 dwBaseType, Int32 dwBaseTypeAlt, Int32 dwServerTemplate, UInt32 dwGetListFlags, UInt32 dwListFilterFlags, Boolean bPrefetchMetaData, Boolean bSecurityTrimmed, Boolean bGetSecurityData, ISP2DSafeArrayWriter p2DWriter, Int32& plRecycleBinCount)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.GetListsWithCallback(String bstrUrl, Guid foreignWebId, String bstrListInternalName, Int32 dwBaseType, Int32 dwBaseTypeAlt, Int32 dwServerTemplate, UInt32 dwGetListFlags, UInt32 dwListFilterFlags, Boolean bPrefetchMetaData, Boolean bSecurityTrimmed, Boolean bGetSecurityData, ISP2DSafeArrayWriter p2DWriter, Int32& plRecycleBinCount)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.GetListsWithCallback(String bstrUrl, Guid foreignWebId, String bstrListInternalName, Int32 dwBaseType, Int32 dwBaseTypeAlt, Int32 dwServerTemplate, UInt32 dwGetListFlags, UInt32 dwListFilterFlags, Boolean bPrefetchMetaData, Boolean bSecurityTrimmed, Boolean bGetSecurityData, ISP2DSafeArrayWriter p2DWriter, Int32& plRecycleBinCount)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.EnsureListsData(Guid webId, String strListName)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.EnsureListsData(String strListName)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.ItemByInternalName(String strInternalName, Boolean bThrowException)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.GetListById(Guid uniqueID, Boolean bThrowException)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListCollection.get_Item(Guid uniqueID)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.CommonUtilities.GetListByInternalID(SPWeb web, Guid listID)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.VariationSettings.get_VariationLabelsList()
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.PublishingWeb.<>c__DisplayClass19.<get_IsInVariationSourceHierarchy>b__18()
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.<>c__DisplayClass4.<RunWithElevatedPrivileges>b__2()
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SecurityContext.RunAsProcess(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(WaitCallback secureCode, Object param)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.PublishingWeb.get_IsInVariationSourceHierarchy()
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.AreaProvisioner.InitializePublishingWebDefaults()

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.AreaProvisioner.InitializePublishingWebDefaults()
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.Internal.AreaProvisioner.Provision()}
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.PublishingFeatureHandler.<>c__DisplayClass3.<FeatureActivated>b__0()
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.CmsSecurityUtilities.RunWithWebCulture(SPWeb web, CodeToRun webCultureDependentCode)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.PublishingFeatureHandler.FeatureActivated(SPFeatureReceiverProperties receiverProperties)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.DoActivationCallout(Boolean fActivate, Boolean fForce)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.Activate(SPSite siteParent, SPWeb webParent, SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, Boolean fForce)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureCollection.AddInternal(Guid featureId, SPFeaturePropertyCollection properties, Boolean force, Boolean fMarkOnly)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureManager.EnsureFeaturesActivatedAtWebInternal(SPWeb web, String sFeatures, Boolean fMarkOnly)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureManager.<>c__DisplayClass7.<EnsureFeaturesActivatedAtWeb>b__6()
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunAsUser(SPUserToken userToken, Boolean bResetContext, WaitCallback code, Object param)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunAsUser(SPUserToken userToken, CodeToRunElevated code)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureManager.EnsureFeaturesActivatedAtWeb(Byte[]& userToken, Int32 nZone, Guid siteid, Guid webid, String sFeatures)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.ApplyWebTemplate(String bstrUrl, String& bstrWebTemplate, Int32& plWebTemplateId)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.ApplyWebTemplate(String bstrUrl, String& bstrWebTemplate, Int32& plWebTemplateId)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.ApplyWebTemplate(String strWebTemplate)
    at Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.PortalProvisioningProvider.CreatePortal(String xmlFile, SPWeb rootWeb)'

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Regards

Steve

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 4:55 PM
  • Any Solution to this? I am facing this problem :|
    Thursday, August 28, 2014 1:20 PM