none
KB4036108 patch fails, 'The term 'Stop-SetupService' is not recognized' RRS feed

• Question

• Upgrading Exchange 2016 CU6, the patch failed at some point. I had to reboot the server. When the server comes back up the Active Directory Topology service crashes instantly when you try to start it. I attempt to reapply the patch and the following log is produced:

[18:59:48] -----------------------------------------------
    [18:59:48] * ServiceControl.ps1: 9/14/2017 6:59:48 PM
    [18:59:48] Performing service control with options:
    [18:59:48] Must specify an operation
    [19:18:24] -----------------------------------------------
    [19:18:24] * ServiceControl.ps1: 9/14/2017 7:18:24 PM
    [19:18:24] Performing service control with options:
    [19:18:25] Saving service and registry data
    [19:18:25] Saving service state to 'C:\ExchangeSetupLogs\ServiceState.xml'...
    [19:18:32] Saving services startup mode.
    [19:18:33] Adding to installed roles list: AdminTools
    [19:18:33] Adding to installed roles list: ClientAccessMailboxRole
    [19:18:33] Adding to installed roles list: Mailbox
    [19:18:33] Adding to installed roles list: Bridgehead
    [19:18:33] Adding to installed roles list: Mailbox
    [19:18:33] Adding to installed roles list: UnifiedMessaging
    [19:18:33] Stopping services for the following roles: AdminTools ClientAccess FrontendTransport Bridgehead Mailbox UnifiedMessaging
    [19:18:33] Stopping services for 'AdminTools ClientAccess FrontendTransport Bridgehead Mailbox UnifiedMessaging'...
    [19:18:33] Stopping service 'WinMgmt'.
    [19:18:33] [Error] System.Management.Automation.CommandNotFoundException: The term 'Stop-SetupService' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
       at System.Management.Automation.ExceptionHandlingOps.CheckActionPreference(FunctionContext funcContext, Exception exception)
       at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.ActionCallInstruction`2.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)
       at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.EnterTryCatchFinallyInstruction.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)
       at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.EnterTryCatchFinallyInstruction.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)
       at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.Interpreter.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)
       at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.LightLambda.RunVoid1[T0](T0 arg0)
       at System.Management.Automation.DlrScriptCommandProcessor.RunClause(Action`1 clause, Object dollarUnderbar, Object inputToProcess)
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
       at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
       at System.Management.Automation.Internal.PipelineProcessor.SynchronousExecuteEnumerate(Object input)
       at System.Management.Automation.PipelineOps.InvokePipeline(Object input, Boolean ignoreInput, CommandParameterInternal[][] pipeElements, CommandBaseAst[] pipeElementAsts, CommandRedirection[][] commandRedirections, FunctionContext funcContext)
       at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.ActionCallInstruction`6.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)

I attempted to run the command myself, and that's reproducible:

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Scripts> ServiceControl.ps1 BeforePatch AdminTools,ClientAccess,FrontendTransport,Bridgehead,Mailbox,UnifiedMessaging
    Stop-SetupService : The term 'Stop-SetupService' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or
    operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try
    again.
    At C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\bin\ServiceControl.ps1:329 char:3
    +         Stop-SetupService -ServiceName $serviceName -ev script:servic ...
    +         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Stop-SetupService:String) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

I can't even attempt to have the Exchange 2016 CU6 do the reinstallation because when running setup.exe /Mode:Upgrade /IAcceptBlahBlah the setup process attempts to start the Active Directory Topology service which crashes and causes setup to fail.

Where do I go from here?

Friday, September 15, 2017 12:14 AM

Answers

• I don't love the fact that this happened, and I share sjaak327's unhappiness - though not his situation. I was able to get this up and running by rebuilding and doing a restore on a new server. Frankly this whole thing is unacceptable but at least I was able to get going again.
    • Marked as answer by JackDawsen Saturday, September 16, 2017 6:29 PM
    Saturday, September 16, 2017 6:29 PM

All replies

• Do you have tombstoned domain controllers: How to find tombstoned DCs

Do you have any legacy exchange servers or databases: Find and Fix Legacy Exchange DB or Servers

Friday, September 15, 2017 12:36 AM
  • I don't have any tombstoned DCs, there are two DCs and dcdiag report no problems between the two of them. There are no legacy Exchange servers or databases, this is a single server setup.
    Friday, September 15, 2017 12:41 AM
  • I have the same error when I try to apply the Exchange patch. However, I don't have any issues with the Topology service. Just the patch failing with "Stop-SetupService is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program".
    Friday, September 15, 2017 2:48 PM
  • If I could complete the patch process so that the Topology service would start, or somehow undo what portion of the patch was applied so it would start, I would be satisfied with waiting for a fixed patch but at this point it's left me in a bad state. Is there some kind of super verbose logging I can activate to figure out more about the crash?
    Friday, September 15, 2017 5:31 PM
  • another failed windows update, the state of this stuff is horrendous. In my case, the patch fails without any futher information. Luckily it does not seem to break anything, after all these are SERVERS. 

It is time Microsoft gets back to delivering patches that actually work, it boggles the mind why those updates fail in the first place. Too complicated, too prone to error. Time to refactor and redevelop the whole system, as it is utterly broken.

Oh I went to exchange setup folder, same error message, stop-setupservice not recognized. Does Microsoft actually even put this through any testing, what rubbish. 

Oh and thank you, the server is now unavailable, as all services has been disabled. No-one thought it would be a good idea, to revert those changes after the bloody update failed to install. For fuck sake, what the hell are you guys doing, we pay you for this software, but it should be the other way around, this is so utterly unprofessional it isn't even funny anymore. Tossers. 

• Edited by sjaak327 Saturday, September 16, 2017 2:07 AM
    Saturday, September 16, 2017 1:59 AM
  • Oh I spoke too soon, after a reboot none of the services start again. Thanks Microsoft, what utter utter rubbish, a patch that does not install, now makes the whole server useless. I hate you with a passion now, so many wasted hours, just because you guys don't even fucking test your patches. THis is EXCHANGE, luckily I found out now, so I can keep this patch away from the rest of the ex. servers.

Again, you should be paying us for this crap.

So is someone from Microsoft willing to clean up this mess, a security update now completely fucked up an Exchange server, an update that could not install in the first place ! great, reverting the changes did not cross your idiot mind ?

I think I am forced to do a recover server at this point in time, as none of the services will ever start, no idea what has been done, but trying to get to the dependency tab, it throws an error message about the service. Was merely stopping the service and not touch the actual config not enough, fucking idiots. 
    • Edited by sjaak327 Saturday, September 16, 2017 2:51 AM
    Saturday, September 16, 2017 2:19 AM
  • and... even a recover server fails. Rockect science. ALL info is in AD, yet it fails regarding some monitoring bollocks. Again, why do we pay MS for this absolute crap.

I install the server again, reset the AD computer account and try to do a recover server. After more than one hour, someone at MS decided to fail the whole thing for an inexplicit reason. What planet are you guys on ? Not on earth, that much is damm sure. 

ALL you need to do is copy the binaries and configure the server as definied in AD, nothing more needs to be done. Yet, it fails, the nickname for Microsoft FAIL FAIL FAIL, everythings fails, because it is too complicated, too prone to errors, this is just a mail server for crying out loud, how can a recover server fail on a brand new server install ? Boggles the mind. Yet another 90 minutes thrown away.

Keep it simple, keep it fast, that's all you need to do, yet you fail on all accounts..

• Edited by sjaak327 Saturday, September 16, 2017 1:27 PM
    Saturday, September 16, 2017 1:26 PM
  • I don't love the fact that this happened, and I share sjaak327's unhappiness - though not his situation. I was able to get this up and running by rebuilding and doing a restore on a new server. Frankly this whole thing is unacceptable but at least I was able to get going again.
    • Marked as answer by JackDawsen Saturday, September 16, 2017 6:29 PM
    Saturday, September 16, 2017 6:29 PM
  • Jack,

I hear you. I applied KB4036108 to a single Exchange 2016 server as well as a single Exchange 2013 server prior to rolling it out elsewhere and it failed on both servers. All Exchange and IIS services were disabled.

I was able to address the issue on the Exchange 2013 server by removing KB4036108 and setting the disabled services back to Automatic.

Still working on the Exchange 2016 server. Issue is more difficult there because one of the other September or August MS updates creates a problem where it wipes out the Windows Update history.

I can tell you from many years of experience that posting queries like this in these forums is mostly a waste of time.  Most of the replies will be irrelevant or misguided advice from people who don't know much about Exchange but like to pretend that they do.

A better place to post Exchange issues is https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/ That blog is run by the people that own the Exchange product. They don't give a crap about me, you or the Exchange on-premises product but they like to pretend that they do.

Saturday, September 16, 2017 8:24 PM
  • It is a downright disgrace. My 11 production exchange severs are all running fine, because I don't dare to run Windows update on them, because Microsoft in their infinite idiot mind thought it was a great idea to remove the ability to deselect certain patches. Another decision made by people that have no idea how the real world works !

Anyway, I recovered the 2016 server (had to delete all files in D:\msexchange (except for the DB of course, as this is a single server setup) in order for it to succeed. Another indication how this product is utterly flawed. The user should not be responsible for deleting stuff, the setup should take care of this, after all I am doing a recover server !

Yet the server is not up yet, I log in to OWA and get greeted with a 500 ! And.... even though I am running this on the local server, no more information is presented. How is it possible to be greeted wtih a 500 on a brand new server ? How the hell is that even possible ? 

I am so done with Microsoft, spend hours to get a single exchange server back up, that was running just fine before KB4036108 was forcefully installed. 

People rely on exchange, yet Microsoft pushes out a patch that is quite obviously not tested at all. For fuck sake. 

What absolute rubbish, can someone explain how a clean server can possibly lead to a 500 when logging into owa ? a clean server, What UTTER UTTER RUBBISH. 

• Edited by sjaak327 Saturday, September 16, 2017 9:39 PM
    Saturday, September 16, 2017 8:51 PM
  • This might actually help you:

http://blog.ollischer.com/exchange-2016-http-error-500-after-logging-into-ecpowa

The same thing happened to me when I did the repair. The first thing it suggested, running UpdateCas.ps1, made it work like a charm. Then I mounted the database and everything fell into place from there.

• Proposed as answer by sjaak327 Sunday, September 17, 2017 11:17 AM
    Saturday, September 16, 2017 10:14 PM
  • This might actually help you:

http://blog.ollischer.com/exchange-2016-http-error-500-after-logging-into-ecpowa

The same thing happened to me when I did the repair. The first thing it suggested, running UpdateCas.ps1, made it work like a charm. Then I mounted the database and everything fell into place from there.

You sir are a legend. At least outlook now works, together with ECP. OWA is still throwing an error, so going to try the other suggestions. What is so frustrating and annoying is why this is even needed. This is a clean server install, we shouldn't have to go through all kinds of hoops to get the dam thing to work !

Owa still throws   Exception type: TargetInvocationException
    3005, I tried all suggestions, from re-creating the shared web config file to clearing .net cache, still it won't work.

• Edited by sjaak327 Saturday, September 16, 2017 10:51 PM
    Saturday, September 16, 2017 10:44 PM
  • Sorry, but I am so fed up, this particular server has been running since 2008 without any problems. What was I thinking installing ex. 2016 on server 2016 what a nightmare. Cannot deselect any patches, takes ages to download updates, and now this update has left me with a broken server, even AFTER a rebuild server. ECP works, outlook works, OWA refuses to work. 

I am now looking at introducing a second server, and praying that one actually works, so I can move mailboxes to that server. What utter mess. How can a fresly installed recovered server fail for the get go ? What more evidence does one need to figure out that this shit is utterly broken. Pray tell, how can a fresly installed server not work ? It boggles the mind, this stuff is so broken, it is not even funny anymore. Can I invoice you guys for 1) fuck up a perfectly working server with a security update 2) wasting my time by installing a new OS twice, and still not have a fully functioning exchange server. 

About 8 hours and counting, absolute tossers. You did not bother to test this update at all. You know what the most insulting thing is, this broken server just thrown me a message to install KB4036108 ! Why the fuck has this update not been revoked yet, it is quite clearly causing problems for people. 

But No Nadella and co are reaping the bloody shares, leaving their loyal customers to deal with the utter mess MS employees are creating. 

Saturday, September 16, 2017 11:26 PM
  • at least it now works, playing around with the virtual directory cmdlets finally made owa work. I just also fixed the acme certificate auto renewal thing as their latest module breaks things....

So I am back to a working server, still the offending KB is offered, going to disapprove it on my wsus server. Maybe Microsoft could do the same on their WU ? as no doubt this update is flawed. 

Saturday, September 16, 2017 11:48 PM
  • I had issues with the same patch on the weekend. 2 environments, 2013 CU17 and 2016 CU6

Fix was this

Open IIS > Default Website > Exchange Backend > Edit Bindings
    on HTTPS 444 Edit > assign your SSL certificate. Save
    Open command prompt as admin > iisreset

This fixed the issues we were having on both environments without having the remove the updates.

Depending on how far your system has gone, you may have trouble with the IIS reset. On 2013 CU17 we had services that were then disabled. Just change them to stopped, then start them. Run IIS reset again.

Monday, September 18, 2017 1:22 AM
  • I found a workaround for this issue after the same exact problems described in this thread:

Installing KB4036108 fails, resulting in all the Exchange 2016 services in the "disabled" state, including the IIS Admin service, WMI Service, and the World Wide Web Publishing Service.

Setting the services back to Automatic and attempting to start them results in "the service didn't start in a timely fashion" type errors almost immediately after the start command is issued.

Attempting to re-install the patch results in the failure message "The term 'Stop-SetupService' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program." in the C:\ExchangeSetupLogs\ServiceControl.log.

Exchange is left in a completely unusable state.

Try the following:

1. Set all the services back to "Automatic" if you haven't already. I think I mentioned all of them above but there may be one or two that I missed. This particular Exchange 2016 server is also a domain controller. I did not have issues with the other standalone Exchange server I updated.

2. Manually download Exchange2016-KB4036108-x64-en.msp from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55856&WT.mc_id=rss_alldownloads_all

3. Create a file "profile.ps1" in "C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0" containing the following command:

New-Alias Stop-SetupService Stop-Service

(This simply creates an alias that makes Windows think there's a valid "Stop-SetupService cmdlet)

4. Run Exchange2016-KB4036108-x64-en.msp. You should now get past the "stopping services" spot that previously failed.

You may be notified that certain services have files in use that will be modified. You can abort/ignore/retry. I chose to stop all the services in the list (some took a bit of persistence) and hit retry until the setup seemed finished, but the screen seemed to have been paused. I started each Exchange service one at a time manually until the setup window flashed and told me that CU6 installed successfully.

I can confirm that after a reboot all the Exchange services started. I hope this helps someone else!

• Proposed as answer by Derek Gabriel Tuesday, September 19, 2017 5:49 AM
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 2:21 AM
  • Damn wish you posted this 12 hours ago, I just finished a recovery hahaha!

FWIW: I can confirm this profile.ps1 workaround works perfectly. Being a glutton for punishment, I decided to run the patch on my newly recovered server so that I didn't wake up to WU having done it for me. Happily, I can put this to bed.

Mahalo

DG

• Edited by Derek Gabriel Tuesday, September 19, 2017 5:49 AM update
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 4:37 AM
  • I am facing same issue with brand new Exchange server. Haven't even had a chance to go live yet(thank god) and this shit crapped out. Fuck Microsoft and their BS untested updates! Gonna open a call with them so they can fix it. I am through wasting time doing complete reinstalls because these idiots can't put out a working product.

• Edited by Serge MTN Wednesday, September 20, 2017 3:36 PM
    Wednesday, September 20, 2017 3:36 PM
  • I am facing same issue with brand new Exchange server. Haven't even had a chance to go live yet(thank god) and this shit crapped out. Fuck Microsoft and their BS untested updates! Gonna open a call with them so they can fix it. I am through wasting time doing complete reinstalls because these idiots can't put out a working product.

Serge MTN,

You can also express your appreciation in the Exchange blog here https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2017/09/19/released-september-2017-quarterly-exchange-updates/

Microsoft doesn't pay much attention to these TechNet forums.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 3:42 PM
  • Hi Zarach,

this workaround doesn't work on my 2016 ex. I have the Windows 2016 and the Exchange installed in german. Do I have to run a recovery setup of the exchange?

Still getting a lot of ASP.NET Errors for the Virtual Path /

I cannot find any log of the setup attempts of the update. BTW i tried the KB in english and german, both are crashing a few seconds after the status "Stopping-Services". If i run powershell i can see the Alias provided from the profile.ps1. Tried a reboot of the server too without any success.

Any further ideas?

Thank you

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 9:12 PM
  • I can only surmise that the commandlet has a different name in German, you'll need to find it in the log (C:\ExchangeSetupLogs\ServiceControl.log) and make the alias using that...

DG

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 9:19 PM
  • BAM! Worked like a charm!
    Wednesday, September 20, 2017 9:42 PM
  • Hi Derek, just checked the log and found this

[13:39:09] [Error] System.Management.Automation.CommandNotFoundException: Die Benennung "Stop-SetupService" wurde nicht als Name eines Cmdlet, einer Funktion, einer Skriptdatei oder eines ausführbaren Programms erkannt. Überprüfen Sie die Schreibweise des Namens, oder ob der Pfad korrekt ist (sofern enthalten), und wiederholen Sie den Vorgang.

So the cmdlet that is not recognized is "Stop-SetupService", and thats my alias

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>get-alias Stop-SetupService|fl

DisplayName       : Stop-SetupService

CommandType       : Alias

Definition        : Stop-Service

ReferencedCommand : Stop-Service

ResolvedCommand   : Stop-Service

The server is german but on powershell level everything is english. If this workaround worked at many of you it has to be something with the german environment i think. Or maybe that in my case I have two servers. 2016 CU2 on 2012R2 that works fine and this dumb 2016CU6 on 2016 with the update error.

Can someone tell me why I don't have any new log of my attemps installing the update manually? The last log I have is from yesterday 6pm. I was trying till 12pm and there's no log in C:\ExchangeSetupLogs.

Thank you all, ST

Thursday, September 21, 2017 6:27 AM
  • Hi guys,

I think I figured out what's going wrong on my server - it's nothing with the german language.

They were other updates installed in june that's KB3186568 and KB3186574. This is the .NET 4.7 Framework which is not working with Exchange. Thank you ".NET Friends" for this update!!!

I followed this description from "The Exchange Team" in order to uninstall the 4.7 and get 4.6.2 running again. On step 5 the installation said that 4.6.2 is already installed so I tried the CLI command

NDP462-KB3151800-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe /repair

Then I could choose to repair .NET but this action was done in two seconds. I don't think that anything happens but anyway I'm just following advices from the Exchange Pros right? ;-)

After a reboot I tried to install manually the KB4036108 but it still fails (both the english and the german package). So I decided to try an upgrade of the Exchange to CU7 in unattended mode.

The prepair commands went fine but when I start the upgrade I get the same error on command line. Then I just started the setup.exe of CU7 from the Explorer to try the GUI installer. What should I say, I'm on step 13 of 17 right now. 

So I think the combination of all that stuff seems to solve my problem. I'll give you an update after the setup is finished.

UPDATE: So the upgrade to CU7 worked as described in this post. Thanx to all for your help and good luck bringing back your exchange online ;-)

bye, ST

• Edited by StefanoT_LA Thursday, September 21, 2017 1:01 PM
    • Proposed as answer by StefanoT_LA Thursday, September 21, 2017 1:01 PM
    Thursday, September 21, 2017 10:23 AM
  • Installing CU 7 for Exchange 2016 worked for me!
    Tuesday, October 3, 2017 11:20 AM
  • We are three months further and yes...

KB4045655

Does the exact same thing. I managed to install this update on four servers, number 5 it fails, with the exact same sympthoms, services won't start anymore, same error message at setup (stop-setupservice). Really Microsoft, so you did not bother to fix your shit once again. 

I am sick and tired of your shit. Windows update on Server 2016 is good for one thing and one thing only, to mess servers up. It fails right left and center, unbelieveably slow and unreliable. 

In any case, on this server I am now trying to deploy the fix that was suggested here, but the KB stops without even logging anything, it takes 15 minutes or so to simply start, again, why ? Surely this shit can be made to run a bit quicker ?

Anyway I rebooted and am trying again now, from now onwards, I will simply install updates manually instead of using the Windows update, as that service is so utterly broken in Server 2016. Not even with the ability to disable selected updates, totally unacceptable of course, I wonder if MS employees have lost their brains ?

Sunday, December 17, 2017 11:27 AM
  • Oh and a second server where the update fails. How can an update even fail, it defies logic. Why does anything on windows that need updating have such a high chance of failing. 

Can someone explain how a mere update to a system can possibly fail ? I mean, plenty of diskspace, working network connection, a system that is idle, yet it fails. More often than that it succeeds. Maybe the fast pace updating should stop and you guys need to get your asses back to the drawing table, as your updating mechanism is seriously broken. You ask high prices for your rubbish, but we should actually be paid for all the time lost because your update mechanism is designed to loose time. For fuck sake.

And why even on a successfull insteal is the search controller disabled ? This will prevent the catalog from being seeded. Please fix your shit, this is simply not acceptable. 

And another one where it fails, cannot access windows installer service after running for god knows how long. Why oh why can't this be quicker and simple, why all the bloody dependencies, it HAS to fail if designed in this way. Another reboot and another prayer that the update will eventually install. Luckily this is the last of nine servers I have to do, failed on three, that's 33.3% What more can I say to illustrate this shit is not working. Can I send Microsoft a bill for all of that lost time ? Fix your shit, as it is most definitely broken. Horrendous that this was allowed out of the door. 

• Edited by sjaak327 Sunday, December 17, 2017 6:10 PM
    Sunday, December 17, 2017 12:19 PM
  • What a nightmare, even the latest CU on a physical server fails, after a reboot and configuring updates up to 71% Now undoing changes, how is this possible ?

Why is nothing being done to fix this utterly broken system. My maintenance weekend is simply too short, I have three days, but because this system is so broken, I need more time. It goes from bad to worse, and no-one at Microsoft is doing anything about it. Why don't you listen to your users, it is broken utterly broken. A windows update should never fail, and if it fails it should be occasionally, but in fact, in this maintenance weekend I have seen at least four Server 2016 boxes that fails to install the december CU. Even when using the installer from the update catalog. How is this even possible ? 

I am so done with this shit. 

Sunday, December 17, 2017 1:34 PM
  • https://www.server-essentials.com/community/discussions/security-update-for-exchange-server-2016-cu7-kb4045655-breaks-owa

What's in your log file?

As to the December updates on Server 2016, what does the cbs log files have in them?

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 12:27 AM
  • https://www.server-essentials.com/community/discussions/security-update-for-exchange-server-2016-cu7-kb4045655-breaks-owa

What's in your log file?

As to the December updates on Server 2016, what does the cbs log files have in them?

Yes... this became apparent today, on 6 servers we have the same issue. 

Currently repairing them...

Please how is it possible that updates are being shipped to customers like this ? Totally unacceptable, people rely on Exchange, and a security update should be applied without breaking things right left and center. 

Shoddy work, no other words for this.

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 12:13 PM
  • Thank you so much Zarach, I was planning a full migration of my database, but finally your solution worked for me, you avoid me lot of hours of problem !

Anthony.

Tuesday, December 26, 2017 10:51 PM
  • This fixed my issue with MS-KB4045655
    Friday, January 5, 2018 5:42 PM
  • Maybe this could be helpful   https://info.summit7systems.com/blog/exchange-services-patch-fix-kb4045655
    Wednesday, February 7, 2018 2:30 PM
  • See if this helps 
    https://info.summit7systems.com/blog/exchange-services-patch-fix-kb4045655
    Wednesday, February 7, 2018 2:33 PM
  • This also worked for me on my Exchange 2013 BU16 server.

One thing I did have to do afterwards was re-link the binding of the Exchange Back-End (444) to the certificate again.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 12:57 PM
  • Looks like this occurs still in the March 2018 security update for Exchange, KB4073392. It is related to the unavailable verb Stop-SetupService. I'm running Exchange 2016 CU8, but I imagine it will impact Exchange 2013 builds as well (but can't confirm). The failed installation left all of my Exchange services in a disabled state.

Using the suggestions above about creating an alias to handle this unavailable verb, a la "New-Alias Stop-SetupService Stop-Service" fixed the issue for me and allowed the patch to install successfully.

However, upon completion of the patch, ECP and OWA were unavailable and throwing 500 Internal Server Errors. I tried the UpdateCas.ps1 script that was mentioned earlier in the post, but it did not fix the issue. I had to regenerate the SharedWebConfig files per this KB article to clean things up from the failed install:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3099532/event-id-1309-and-you-can-t-access-owa-and-ecp-after-you-install-excha

• Edited by daedalus001 Wednesday, March 14, 2018 8:20 PM Adding more info
    Wednesday, March 14, 2018 6:50 PM
  • Thank you so much Zarach. I owe you a really good coffee/cake/beer.
    Thursday, September 12, 2019 10:17 AM