Psexec username or password incorrect for Domain Admin using Virtual machine image RRS feed

• Question

• We have started deploying Windows 10 and everything was working until I created a VM of our Windows 10  image (Upgraded to 1511 build before I started putting the image on other machines). The deployment went as normal but when we try to run a PSExec script we get the same error "Username or Password is incorrect". The username and password used works on our Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 (fresh installs). It only has this issue with the VM and the images I put on other machines. I had a problem with sysprep so I deployed without syspreping. I have corrected this problem and can now sysprep my VM as well as the machines that have the current image. This still returns the same username/password error with PSExec. I've checked all the SID's and GUID's they were different after they were sysprepped. Does anyone know why I'm having the username/password issue?

This is how most of our scripts are laid out. I have tried with "" around the password which did nothing, removed -s, and added the domain admin to one of the computers through a cmd script. Nothing has worked so far.

psexec @client.txt -s -u domain\administrator -p password \\Domain location

Thursday, June 30, 2016 2:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Drakken87,

"It only has this issue with the VM and the images I put on other machines. I had a problem with sysprep so I deployed without syspreping. I have corrected this problem and can now sysprep my VM as well as the machines that have the current image. "
    I am not sure about the exact operation. Do you mean you have deployed an image without sysprep but you sysprep the deployed image later?

If it is possible, please capture a syspreped image firstly then deploy it again to have a test.

Have you tried to use the username and password to login the remote machine?

Try to work without the password just "-p". We should be notified to input the password manually later.

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 1, 2016 6:56 AM
  • Yes I deployed an image without syspreping first. I have since sysprepped my VM and deployed it on a test machine but the scripts still won't work due to username or password issues. I have tried different user accounts both local and domain administrators as well as my own Admin user. They were all able to login to the computer without issues. I tried after all accounts were setup on the computer and got the same result. I also tried just "-p" but got the same result, using all 3 accounts. The scripts work just fine on Windows 10 fresh installs with no problems. I reverted my VM back before I upgraded to 1511 and the scripts are working like they should. Our fresh installs have also been upgraded to 1511 and they continue to work as expected.

Tyler Campbell

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 8:22 PM
  • Hi Drakken87,

Do you mean the issue only occurred with the customized image, right?
    If I have misunderstood the issue, please feel free to let me know that.

"Yes I deployed an image without syspreping first"
    As far as I know, the image without syspreping cannot be deployed to other machines. It may reslut in un-expected behavior.

What is the exact configuration you have made to the customized image  Have you customized the default profile? Or you just syspreped the image then deployed it?

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, July 7, 2016 3:18 AM
  • OK lets try to explain this again. We have 5 machines that have my VM image that was not sysprepped. All of these machines gave a Username or password error using PSExec. We also have 6 machines that have Windows 10 installed fresh on them. These do not have any issues with PSExec. Our Windows 7 and windows 8 machines have no issues with PSExec either. We thought the issue was that I was unable to sysprep my VM causing the SID's to be the same. I was able to get one of those machines to sysprep and pull in a new SID but the issue with PSExec remained. Everything except PSExec works on the machines NO other problems at all. What we need to know is why we are getting a username or password error on these machines only.

Tyler Campbell

Monday, July 11, 2016 4:06 PM